Ziginox

Bonneville County Courthouse Whelen WPS-3016

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:15 pm

It lives! It seems Idaho Falls suddenly has a renewed interest in their sirens. I believe this is the first test in ten or fifteen years of their system, and according to the news report they want to test every three months. They have an all-Whelen system with this 3016, two 2020s, a 2016, and a 2750.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYqvdyWwsM

It seems it was a good thing we went to record this, afterwards I called up the EMA and reported the sound and rotation issues and they made it sound like they knew nothing about them. You can hear either a 2016 or a 2750 winding down after the 3016 stops.

EDIT: The news story.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: Bonneville County Courthouse Whelen WPS-3016

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:58 pm

That is one strange tone.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Poor thing. I wonder why it sounds so bad...?
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Did the thing go off for warnings, or just not test? Cause that would be a long time for it not to be active then finally come active after 15 years.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Kasm279 wrote:It lives! It seems Idaho Falls suddenly has a renewed interest in their sirens. I believe this is the first test in ten or fifteen years of their system, and according to the news report they want to test every three months. They have an all-Whelen system with this 3016, two 2020s, a 2016, and a 2750.
:shock: What gives? :? No wonder this siren is jacked up. If I was the EMA, granted we'd have the money, I'd have new controllers put on those sirens at least. Are those controllers all ESC-864s?

On a side note, I think that this is an early WS-3016 because of the X on the screen, where newer ones have a X with a line through it, though I could be wrong. Look at some videos of the 3016 really closely to see it.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:14 pm

I think the drivers are going on this one.
Sifed1 wrote:Did the thing go off for warnings, or just not test? Cause that would be a long time for it not to be active then finally come active after 15 years.
They either wanted to test them for that long to see how they are doing after 10+ years, or that is their test length. No storms, it probably would've went off again or longer

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Sifed1 wrote:
Mark N wrote:I think the drivers are going on this one. They either wanted to test them for that long to see how they are doing after 10+ years, or that is their test length. No storms, it probably would've went off again or longer
Did the thing go off for warnings, or just not test? Cause that would be a long time for it not to be active then finally come active after 15 years.
No. I am wondering if the siren has been dead for 15 years or just used for tornado warnings and not tested.
Josh Reed
23, Ohio

My YouTube Channel

Ziginox

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:44 am

Sifed1 wrote:No. I am wondering if the siren has been dead for 15 years or just used for tornado warnings and not tested.
Tornadoes? In IDAHO? :lol:
But anyway, all of the sirens in Idaho Falls have stood silent for about that time. This was just a test of the system. I plan on calling the EMA office and asking some questions about why they were installed and why they just decided to bring them back into operation. I'd like to think that I indirectly triggered it when I talked to one of the workers at the sewage plant when I was getting pictures of the WPS-2750... :D

EDIT: Oh, and I imagine they're 864s. I doubt they've ever been replaced.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:23 am

Kasm279 wrote:
Sifed1 wrote:No. I am wondering if the siren has been dead for 15 years or just used for tornado warnings and not tested.
Tornadoes? In IDAHO? :lol:
But anyway, all of the sirens in Idaho Falls have stood silent for about that time. This was just a test of the system. I plan on calling the EMA office and asking some questions about why they were installed and why they just decided to bring them back into operation. I'd like to think that I indirectly triggered it when I talked to one of the workers at the sewage plant when I was getting pictures of the WPS-2750... :D

EDIT: Oh, and I imagine they're 864s. I doubt they've ever been replaced.
Oh, that's embarrassing! :oops: I didn't know what Idaho's climate was like. I wonder why they have the sirens then. Floods, Chemical Spills? :?

Edit: I can see why Idaho doesn't have tornadoes; It's really dry! They're probably for Flash Floods or a Chemical Plant.
Josh Reed
23, Ohio

My YouTube Channel

Ziginox

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:41 am

Well, we kinda have some nuclear stuff in the area, but not very close. Flash floods aren't a huge possibility, but there are some dams in the area. Either way, it's nice that they're trying to get things going again. Oh, another thing: the 3016 never pointed directly at me, but I didn't have to even plug my ears. Something is certainly wrong with either the amplifiers or the drivers...

Oh, and were the rotators belt driven on these older Whelens?

Return to “Videos and Media”