EastCoastFilmer

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt Railfanning

Federal Electric Model B Monthly Test - Easton, Maryland

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:36 pm

To ring in the new decade before heading back to school later this month, I returned to Easton in Talbot County, MD for their Model B on January 4th. Overall, it wasn't too loud, but it was still punchy and gets the job done for this small neighborhood, and it's nice to see an old siren like this still being used.

Some of you may remember the guy on YouTube whom many noted resembled "Ned Flanders," who ran a dB test on this siren while also complaining that the community alert signal was similar to the fire signal. Talbot County was interesting for this back in the day. Back then, the community alert signal was a "slow fast wail," and that signal has since been changed to alert, along with the all clear signal being done away with. The fire signal was also shortened to sound up to 6 cycles; the amount depending on the severity of the fire call.

This town's system is also particularly interesting, consisting of this siren, 2 Model 3s less than a mile away, an ACA Screamer S5, and a defunct Thunderbolt 1003A. I had recorded the Model 3 at the FD headquarters last April, where the Thunderbolt also stands. The remainder of Talbot County has mostly Model 3s, STH-10s, Model 2s and Model 5/7s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJ9KWy1CVM
East Coast Siren Enthusiast & Railfan
YouTube: Thunderbolt Railfanning Productions

LukeH

Re: Federal Electric Model B Monthly Test - Easton, Maryland

Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:01 am

I'd like to bump this as a Facebook user recently aquired one of these, and I figured it was worth mentioning that this is not a Federal Type B, Sterling or anything of the sort. These actually seem to be extremely isolated to the east coast, mainly Maryland. A few historical photos have surfaced of these sirens in use in the 1940s. They use a 3 phase 5hp Delta Electric motor, and all seem to be 12/12 port.

Unfortunately the tag on the siren that has been aquired is entirely illegible, however through quite a bit of research I believe these sirens may have been a product of the Baltimore Automatic Fire Alarm Co, headquartered in Baltimore, MD. Though very little is available on the company they were in business in the late 1800s through the 1940s. The company also seems loosely affiliated with Black & Decker, also headquartered in Baltimore. With the owner's permission I will create a separate thread for the siren.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Return to “Videos and Media”