DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Georgia SWA Tornado Drill: Columbus, GA

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 pm

This week was SWA week, and along with it comes a tornado drill. I was planning on recording at the Dobbins AFB to catch one of their E-Class EC-8's and the plant's nearby WPS-2910, but the base didn't know there was a drill and the command post couldn't communicate to the public about anything siren related. Uncertainty of the weather made me want to avoid traveling far should the drill be postponed and I'm 2 and a half hours out, so I restricted my travel a little closer to the city. I didn't feel like driving through winding roads to get to Upson County in the fog, so that option was thrown out. Ft. Benning doesn't partake in the drills, and Cusseta and Troup County didn't appear to post any info on the drill on their public connections, so those options are out too. In the end I stuck with Columbus, got me a couple hours of extra sleep, recorded the 2810 up the street from me. I've always wanted to get a proper recording of this one during a drill even though I have like 1000 videos of it online. It's the main siren in the background of my ambiance videos. The fog added an interesting effect to the background but almost made the recording on the camera a wasted effort. In the intermission between the drill and all clear the siren literally disappeared from the camera's viewfinder for like 5 minutes before clearing up enough to be seen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBY0TBHuAw
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Videos and Media”