freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

8-15-18 Florence, AL Siren Test Ambience (ACA Allertor, ACA P-10, Whelen Vortex)

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5JerDOCRoA

I went out to Florence a couple of days ago while chasing the TSRR. While they were switching the Port of Florence (prior to tying down for the evening, much to my surprise), I went to record a siren test since it was about the time of Lauderdale County's bi-monthly test. I wasn't feeling like recording one of the unrecorded Whelens in the county as I was in the mood for a mechanical siren, but I didn't quite feel like going and rerecording a siren either, so I decided to set-up about half-way between the P-10 and the Allertor and record an ambience. While waiting for the test, a couple of college students in a pick-up truck had been curious what I was doing and offered me a beer afterwards. Given the fact that I drove myself here and am not of the legal age to drink yet, I politely declined their offer. A couple of old ladies in a minivan stopped and asked if I was the new neighbor that had just moved into the house my camera was set-up in front of (which I was not, since I still live in Huntsville).

The ACA Allertor is about 3/4 of a mile behind the camera and is the siren that winds-up first. Surprisingly it's not as loud as the P-10 is, though that might be due to it being wired backwards. The top horn on it also appears to have been hit as it appeared to be at an angle when I saw it today.
The P-10 is on a building in downtown Florence about 3/4 of a mile away in the direction my camera was pointing, and is the main siren you hear in this ambience.
A Whelen Vortex can also be heard, and I think I heard it coming from my east-ish, but I'm not aware of any Whelens that way. In fact, the two closest Whelens are the one along US 72/US 43 near the Port of Florence on the south side of the downtown and the one near Florence High School. If anyone thinks they can find a closer Whelen, feel free to hunt for it.

Lauderdale County, AL tests on the first and third Wednesdays of every month, weather permitting.

Lauderdale County, AL siren map:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8694011 ... sZ7U?hl=en
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Return to “Videos and Media”