SirenkiD wrote:
Justin wrote:STL-10?

But it sounds pretty much like a 2001.

X-nay on the STL-10. It's a 3 fo sho.
Hehe, like yo gangsta style, mate. :P

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm not very familiar with the Federal Model 3. How many ports does it's rotor have? This siren definitely sounds like it has a 12 port rotor, so I'm very doubtful that it's a Model 2. I've seen a video of a Model 7, and it had that same low undertone, but the wind-up was much faster, and the pitch was a little higher. That's why I'm leaning more towards an underpowered Model 7. However, this siren could even be one of the Model 5 knock-offs.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Daniel

Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Umm, that's probably a courthouse or a city hall. I'm not familiar with churches that use sirens (hell's bells?). My guess is either a Model 3 or a 5, because anything newer than the 1940's or 50's would have been mounted on the roof or on a pole. Anything larger would have required a lot of architectural modification to install it, whereas a Model 5 could fit through one of the louvred sound openings in the tower. The musical pitch of this siren indicates that it has 12 ports and is running at the standard speed of around 3,500 RPM. A 2001 runs a little faster than this.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

ver tum

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Daniel wrote:Umm, that's probably a courthouse or a city hall. I'm not familiar with churches that use sirens (hell's bells?). My guess is either a Model 3 or a 5, because anything newer than the 1940's or 50's would have been mounted on the roof or on a pole. Anything larger would have required a lot of architectural modification to install it, whereas a Model 5 could fit through one of the louvred sound openings in the tower. The musical pitch of this siren indicates that it has 12 ports and is running at the standard speed of around 3,500 RPM. A 2001 runs a little faster than this.
I red in the comments for this video that the siren is located on a courthouse tower.

Does anyone know where Bellefontaine, Ohio is?
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Daniel

Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:46 pm

ver tum wrote:
Does anyone know where Bellefontaine, Ohio is?
It is right in that region between Indiana and Pennsylvania. :)
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

C. Bryant

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm

Sounds like a siren I herd in an old movie 1930's or late 1920's
with a
Prison riot :shock:
or escape deckades ago . I suspect its very old .

Fletch

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:43 am

I've been to Bellefontaine before. It is about an hour northwest of Columbus. What is interesting about the town is that it is the highest point in Ohio. On the drive to Bellefontaine from Columbus it is pretty flat up until you cross the county line into Logan County and it gets very hilly all of a sudden. Then you leave Bellefontaine going west and it gets very flat again. There are several ski areas nearby.

I noticed that the city has a system of FS 2001's. I did not know the courthouse had a siren. Probably a relic of an older system of Federal 3's, 5's, or 7's. Glad it still exists, although too bad it's hidden from view.

Logan County has had some supercells before that produced tornadoes including the massive November 2002 event that caused an F3 in Van Wert and another severe weather event in July 2006 that I remember well.

ver tum

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:54 am

Fletch wrote:I've been to Bellefontaine before. It is about an hour northwest of Columbus.

That would make it about a five hour drive from Louisville, KY, where I live. I was hoping it was closer than that. Thanks for the info.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Allenorgan42099

Re: Bellefontaine, Ohio mystery siren

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Sorry to bump this 10-year-old thread, but the siren has been confirmed to be a Darley Model 3. Rick, the videographer, sent a picture of the control box a few years back with a label saying "Darley, 3 HP". The tower was destroyed in a tornado several years ago but was rebuilt and the siren reinstalled.

Return to “Videos and Media”