SirenMadness

Sun May 28, 2006 12:53 pm

Most likely a shift or time signal. Because a fog siren is a very old device, I think your city bought its first warning device long ago.
~ Peter Radanovic

Hanako

Sun May 28, 2006 3:25 pm

It wouldn't surprise me, we live right next to the Pacific Ocean, a warning system could have been put up during the Second World War, probably not used though ^_^;

I think the only warning system we have now is for Tsunamis, I'd have to check ^-^;

In the meantime, I'll see what the City Information Office says about it, if they answer me at all :shock:

Daniel

Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:30 am

It may also be a ventilation pipe for some underground area or machinery. I haven't been to Vancouver for several years, but I remember seeing several belt-drive Allertors there and an electronic siren on a rooftop near the Harbour Centre Tower which consisted of six round speaker trumpets arranged in a circle (sorry, I don't know much about electronic sirens). Also, aren't the three air horns at the Expo Centre still playing "O Canada" at noon?

Hanako

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:02 am

I've been to Science World (Expo Centre's present name...if you're referring to the big golf ball near the centre of the city) and I haven't heard or seen any horns that play "O Canada" which leads me to believe they're no longer there i'm afraid o_o

As for an Allerator on Harbour Centre, I think i might go check it out, I saw a rather Hi-Res picture of Harbour Centre on the net' but like alot of them, it's from the bottom and I can't get a good look o_o

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... fromCP.jpg

Jim_Ferer

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:57 pm

I also believe it's a ventilator. There wouldn't be any reason to build a noisemaker that way.

Hanako

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:35 pm

Hmmmm, I suppose not, it doesn't look like the sound would carry too well does it? o.o

I'll still check with other municipalities though ^-^;

SirenMadness

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:41 pm

It would direct sound efficiently.
Is it near a building? It could be a major vent duct. Or it could be a moisture-carrier, to keep the building fresh inside.
~ Peter Radanovic

loudmouth

Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:01 pm

wait isnt there a a under ground cooling system around that area or some underground power plant i saw some show were they had this huge pipe that they connected above water i think one of the great lakes or some thing like that then sunk it (it streched like a mile out into the lake or some thing) and they some how use it too cool all the major sky scrapers in the city its the first of its type any were.

Jim_Ferer

Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:34 pm

SirenMadness wrote:It would direct sound efficiently.
Is it near a building? It could be a major vent duct. Or it could be a moisture-carrier, to keep the building fresh inside.
I dont' think it would. Every sound projector I've ever seen has its long axis facing the "target."

If any of you (Adam might) go into the Alewife parking garage/subway station in Cambridge, MA, they've got the PA system going through horns, with excellent results. The startling thing is that they look exactly like they'd been unbolted off Thunderbolts and remounted.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”