cdvtripleseven

Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:57 pm

Those cell phone antennas are also privately owned.

I think one of my Thunderbolts that went up to Mosslake
in Cooke county will be on private property. They still
don't have them installed yet which has me a little worried.
Dad, what does that CD mean on that big yellow horn? Well son, I believe it stands for Cyclone Device......

Jim_Ferer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:51 am

SirenkiD wrote:I don't think that local, state, or even the federal government is obligated to pay to place sirens on private property. They have an easement which allows them to do so. They use this mainly for one's utillites like water access, electricity, gas, ect. Legally, the government can do anything they want to with your property, as long as it is in the greater good of the people. An example would be the goverment evicting people from their homes to build new highways and such. They have that power, and although they most likely won't go to that extreme just to place a siren, they could if they wanted to.

And BTW, the now-gone Thunderbolt that used to be on "private property" here in Lewisville, was actually in a little fenced in area of the alley behind some homes.
The government is obligated to pay for any private land taking, but it isn't much, often nothing like what the land is worth. Underground easements are something else. They may have paid the original landowner but they don't have to pay everybody who buys the land. I had a neighbor who built a deck which was over an underground gas main; he couldn't get a permit for it until he signed off that he understands that if there was a problem with the main his deck would be a goner, the gas company would just demolish it to get at the main.

I've seen sirens on high-rise apartment buildings where there wasn't anyplace else for them, but the great majority are on public space. (the big Masonic Temple in Alexandria, Virginia, had a T-bolt on a corner of the building) I'm sure the CD folks don't put sirens on private property if they have a choice.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:23 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:Just about all new sirens are going to be pole mounted per the manufacturers recommendations. Most of these new sirens will be either located at a public building like a firehouse, cop shop, or school, or just on city right of ways. Actually, almost all of Chicagos sirens are located on city right of ways, including the one down the street from me at wrigley field. So far, ive only found one 2001 at a fire station, its in the parking lot. the rest are by the street, whether they are by a school, ballpark, etc.
Then there is one in downtown (I forget what intersection) which i estimate
is 100 feet from the Sears tower :shock: I would not like to be outside
when that thing goes off! It must be loud with all the buildings.

One of Darien's hurricanes is sort of on private property. Its at a pump
station, which is fence off, but when you walk around the other side by
the school, it looks like its in someone's backyard!

High Low Boy 2

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:25 pm

there used to be a 2001 that is on private prop but now the chain fence is gone & the control boxes are literally on the ground.

"can anyone say vandalisiam?"

thunderbolt1003kid

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:16 pm

in scottsbluff NE there is a thunderbolt 1003 located right besides my 6th grade teacher`s yard the siren is mounted pretty low

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”