kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sirens mounted on private property within a lease?

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Another thread brought this to my mind.... In Los Angeles, there are many situations where cellphone antennae are mounted on privately owned buildings and on poles in private yards. The property owners are VERY well-paid!

Does anyone know of a similar situation with a CD or storm siren? I mean an official siren on private property; not a privately owned siren.

Charles

Brendan Ahern

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:54 pm

Actually some of Chicago's old air raid sirens are on private property. There are 2 tbolts that come to mind that are still up. One is on the roof of a window company and the other is on top of a lubricant factory. Both have been abandoned by the city but are still on the roofs. Both are in pretty rough shape, almost not even worth taking down as they would probably fall apart on the way down.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:41 am

Thanks Brendan for the input... I also remembered after this post, that there are the remains of a Chrysler on the Firestone Tire plant in Southgate, CA. So I guess it is less common to see sirens than cellphone towers on private property, but they do exist.

Charles

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:12 am

This Thunderbolt is on private property (was) in Lewisville. Go to:
http://ares.homeip.net/~bwillcox/sirens ... leold.html
And scroll to Windmere and Main.

Brendan Ahern

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:55 pm

Just about all new sirens are going to be pole mounted per the manufacturers recommendations. Most of these new sirens will be either located at a public building like a firehouse, cop shop, or school, or just on city right of ways. Actually, almost all of Chicagos sirens are located on city right of ways, including the one down the street from me at wrigley field. So far, ive only found one 2001 at a fire station, its in the parking lot. the rest are by the street, whether they are by a school, ballpark, etc.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:06 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:Just about all new sirens are going to be pole mounted per the manufacturers recommendations. Most of these new sirens will be either located at a public building like a firehouse, cop shop, or school, or just on city right of ways. Actually, almost all of Chicagos sirens are located on city right of ways, including the one down the street from me at wrigley field. So far, ive only found one 2001 at a fire station, its in the parking lot. the rest are by the street, whether they are by a school, ballpark, etc.
Most all of the LA sirens also are on poles near the curb, on public property. A few (VERY few) are ontop of firehouses. That Chrysler is the only one I can think of in Los Angeles on private property.

Charles

CABLEVision

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:31 pm

Does anbody know of a siren being mounted on house or in a front or back yard?

Whelen Rules

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:02 am

CoreyHall wrote:Does anbody know of a siren being mounted on house or in a front or back yard?

One of the sirens here in town is located in someones front yard, it is at one of the housing projects. Its at the Ceader Ln village.
Tyler Lund

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:33 am

CoreyHall wrote:Does anbody know of a siren being mounted on house or in a front or back yard?
I saw a P-10 in Salem County NJ used for the atrificial island power plant right in the middle of someone's front yard. I'm not too sure how the homeowner feels about it but they did plant flowers around the pole :lol:

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:24 am

I don't think that local, state, or even the federal government is obligated to pay to place sirens on private property. They have an easement which allows them to do so. They use this mainly for one's utillites like water access, electricity, gas, ect. Legally, the government can do anything they want to with your property, as long as it is in the greater good of the people. An example would be the goverment evicting people from their homes to build new highways and such. They have that power, and although they most likely won't go to that extreme just to place a siren, they could if they wanted to.

And BTW, the now-gone Thunderbolt that used to be on "private property" here in Lewisville, was actually in a little fenced in area of the alley behind some homes.
-The Princess

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”