birdy

stormy weather

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:25 pm

Crazy day yesterday in central Illinois. Severe storms formed along a very slow moving cold front that just seemed to hover over us for several hours. There was a tornado sighted southeast of Champaign, a couple in Vermillion county and I believe one around Monticello, but I could be wrong. And of course there were sirens.

They went off here in Urbana for the first time around 2:30, and I was delighted to hear the last (?) remaining Thunderbolt 1000 (located on a parking garage on campus) bellowing out loudly and proudly below the numerous 2001s. They went off again around 3-something when doppler indicated yet more rotation.

It was one of those days when work is so incredibly boring that you welcome even dangerous fun, hence my boss and I standing out back for the entire warning period under a green and turbulent sky. It made the rest of the day go alot faster for sure.
-Bird.

siren_face2000

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi Birdy! I'm nate! I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes tornado sirens in champaign county! I'll tell you more later, about how I felt about the strange weather we had Wednesday afternoon!

Hope to talk to you soon! Nate!

birdy

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:36 pm

Cool, Nate. So am I right about that Thunderbolt on top of the parking garage on campus being the last one? If so, what a shame.
-Bird.

siren_face2000

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:19 pm

The first sign that I got that bad weather was coming, was when I was walking to EB games. I had noticed that the temperature had gone down some, and then as soon as I walk in to EB games, the sirens outside started ringing for the tornado warning. Apparently they went off again 20 minutes later. The first time I heard the sirens go off twice in a row, I thought that there were possibly 2 reasons why the sirens went off twice: Either they sounded the sirens again because the doppler radar may have indicated strong rotation, or maybe the people outside didn't hear the sirens the first time. Do you think my last reason was way off? I might be wrong. Oh well. It sure was an interesting afternoon/evening.

SirenMadness

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:02 pm

Yes, they went off so as to give a warning to those who had not heard the first warning; they don't want the sirens working all that time, so they do the whole warning in intervals
~ Peter Radanovic

siren_face2000

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:47 pm

ok. So my theory is correct after all.

Whelen Rules

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:50 pm

here in Tullahoma they keep sounding the sirens every 5 minutes for 3 minute cycles in alert untill the tornado warning has expired or the danger has passed
Tyler Lund

birdy

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:22 pm

siren_face2000 wrote:The first sign that I got that bad weather was coming, was when I was walking to EB games. I had noticed that the temperature had gone down some, and then as soon as I walk in to EB games, the sirens outside started ringing for the tornado warning. Apparently they went off again 20 minutes later. The first time I heard the sirens go off twice in a row, I thought that there were possibly 2 reasons why the sirens went off twice: Either they sounded the sirens again because the doppler radar may have indicated strong rotation, or maybe the people outside didn't hear the sirens the first time. Do you think my last reason was way off? I might be wrong. Oh well. It sure was an interesting afternoon/evening.
I only heard the sirens go off once the first time, however I can't actually hear them at work unless I stand with the back door open (and a customer came in, so I had to leave my "post" so to speak), so they might have gone off more than once. Either that or they only went off twice in Champaign. I dunno.

I'm still curious about the thunderbolts though.
-Bird.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”