RyanJamesDean98
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: RyanJamesDean

Federal Enterprises to Fed. Sign and Signal to...

Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a Federal Enterprises Model A siren. I was just wondering if anyone has information of the years Federal Signal was under each different name. I know that they started out as Federal Electric, went to Federal Enterprises, then Federal Sign and Signal, then to Federal Signal, or something like that. So does anyone have the years that they were under each name (and the correct order of names & any other names)?

Thanks!
Proud Owner of too many sirens
Pictures, Video, and More Available on My Website.

djscrizzle

Re: Federal Enterprises to Fed. Sign and Signal to...

Wed May 22, 2013 12:44 am

From memory, Federal Enterprises was the name from the 1930s into the mid 50s.
Then, Federal Sign & Signal from the mid 50s to the 70s, to Federal Signal, Inc from the 70s to today.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

CrazyCalvinWilliams
YouTube Username: CrazyCalvinWilliams

Wed May 22, 2013 12:52 am

I found this in Wikipedia. Hope it helps! :)
Wikipedia.org wrote: Federal Signal started out as the Federal Electric Company in 1901, manufacturing and selling store signs lit by incandescent lamps. By 1915, they began manufacturing and selling electrically-operated mechanical sirens (such as the Q Siren and the Model 66 Siren). By the 1950s, they began manufacturing fire/air raid sirens, including the Thunderbolt and the Model 5, usually used for warning of air raids or fallout during the Cold War. Longtime engineer Earl Gosswiller patented the Beacon-Ray and TwinSonic products, which set the standard for emergency vehicle lightbars.

In 1956, the company became a corporation, renaming itself "Federal Sign and Signal Corporation". By this time, it made outdoor warning sirens, police sirens, fire alarms, and outdoor lighting. In 1976, the company became Federal Signal Corporation

LukeH

Wed May 22, 2013 3:05 am

Correction to the wikipedia article, Federal started way back in the 20's with the federal lion and federal fire siren didn't they?
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

CrazyCalvinWilliams
YouTube Username: CrazyCalvinWilliams

Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 pm

I think this covers the Lion and Fire series sirens: "By 1915, they began manufacturing and selling electrically-operated mechanical sirens"

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 pm

The model 2 was one of the first sirens Federal made. That design dates back to the early 20's.

500AT

Sun May 26, 2013 7:12 am

Federal got it's start in 1901 as the Federal Electric Company. The Model 1 first appeared in 1913, which was followed by the Model 2 a few years later on. However, the Model A & B, which fall under the "Lion Series" era, came earlier than 1913.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:14 pm

I know this is almost a decade old and I apologize for dredging this up, but I have relevant information to contribute. I personally believe the switch to Federal Sign and Signal from Enterprises occurred at some point in 1955, as last year I was looking at the USPTO website and found a document dated 31 May 1955 ( for something relating to the Thunderbolt trademark) in which Federal Enterprises was listed as at the time presently trading as Federal Sign and Signal. This document is USPTO Case #71628684, page 19. I will link it below. I'm also investigating when the Electric to Enterprises switch occurred. I personally believe it occurred after WWII, possibly around 1950. Why I believe this is the case is the fact that the earliest mention of Federal Enterprises I have been presently was from a January 1950 dated trade catalog that I would have to go hunt for again, however I have not found any legal documentation pertaining to the name change as of yet. To go to one last topic that is also relevant, the name switch from Sign and Signal to Signal was executed on February 4, 1976 (and if I am not mistaken, was applied for August 29, 1975 per the conveyance) which can be found on page one on the document linked below:

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?c ... =18&page=1
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 am

Hey that's a neat find! I wondered about this too when I first got my siren.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”