SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

West Covina Thunderbolt

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:02 am

Last Wednesday, I manage to snap a picture of the Thunderbolt in West Covina while stuck in traffic comming home from my aunt's out in San Gabriel. I have tried takeing a pic before but they all came out blurred since I was moveing fast.

I also have a bad pic of the other Thunderbolt in West Covina that I took a while back. This one was located south of the freeway on Citrus street.

Citrus street Tbolt on Virtual Earth. Look to the right of the street and below the creek channel; it's under the palm tree.
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ene=387386

enigma1677

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:04 am

Are those active sirens?

SoundOff

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:59 pm

No, they haven't been used since 1988. I did go by the first siren on the street below one time on the way to the Westfield mall and I noticed the electrical meter had been removed and the wireing to the power pole disconnected so it definately has been deactive for a long time.

One person I know in Church used to live by the one off Citrus street; he said he also last heard it in '88.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:49 am

That's a great find! I think that's the only T-bolt that is reported still in place in SoCal as of now. I personally checked out the Beverly Hills locations last week, and all are gone. I'll have to stop out in West Covina and get a photo, which I will post here.

Thanks for posting this one!

Charles

SoundOff

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:13 pm

They are easy to find. Take the 10 freeway East and exit at Azusa (next to the Hummer dealer). Go south a little and make a right on E. Garvey Ave then follow it through a neighborhood and around a few curves. The 1st T-bolt is located on a small hill at the corner of Lark Ellen and Garvey

As for the second one, you can back track your way to the freeway and go further east to Citrus (I think thats the next exit after Azusa). Go south past the Unocal 76 station; the siren is located next to the creek channel.

I've heard on the old board but haven't checked that Huntington Beach has some powered T-bolts for Tsunami warnings. Last time I checked the City's web site, they said that some of the sirens were located at their fire stations. See if you can get a camera or recorder and be there at the last Friday of the month and get ready for 12 noon. :wink:

If you can make it to Brea as well, a former member on the old board also mentioned a T-bolt 1003 on a fire station on Berry street. Take the 57 south to Lambert and go west to Berry then turn north.[/u]

SoundOff

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:46 pm

I found a somewhat hard to read map on Huntington Beach's city website. They made it small but I was able to get two addresses on it. Try 16221 Gothard, 5891 Heil, or near the corner of PCH and Warner.

http://www.ci.huntington-beach.ca.us/Re ... /siren.jpg

A quick "siren hunt" on Windows live local confirms the existance of the Thunderbolt at the fire station on 16221 Gothard

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ene=271371

The one siren I found that is not a T-bolt is the one at the fire station on 19711 Bushard St. It looks like they have a 2001 on top of a cellphone antenna in front of the building. I'll leave the others up to you.

CABLEVision

Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:42 am

I see a T-bolt on a pole (about 12 feet away from the back of the motorhome)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”