Kd8reh
New User

STH-10 help!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:32 am

I recently picked up an STH-10 from a local department. Motor was froze up and all the bolts holding the top of the motor in place have rotted out. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement motor for it not sure this one can be salvaged. Looking for a single phase 220.

Jackson95

Re: STH-10 help!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:53 am

Kd8reh wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:32 am
I recently picked up an STH-10 from a local department. Motor was froze up and all the bolts holding the top of the motor in place have rotted out. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement motor for it not sure this one can be salvaged. Looking for a single phase 220.
The bolts can be bought at o Rileys auto parts if you can find the right size. Has for the motor try West shore services, the STH-10s there might have a working one. Or look for a similar one online.
Just your average 14 year old Siren kid from O'Fallon. Living in a town with a mix of sirens.

BBoi00
YouTube Username: Sirens and Stuff

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:03 am

Best bet is either finding a different siren for salvaging parts, or sending it to a motor shop to get fixed. I've messaged West Shore Services for a motor in the past for my STL-10 (uses same motor as STH-10), however they are still reinstalling STH-10's for communities that can't afford new sirens. You could message them, but last time I did they didn't have any available.

*edit* You could also put out a post on the help/wanted forum, as another collector may have the motor that you need and be willing to sell it. The way I got the motor I needed was from another collector.
Happy and slightly confused owner of a STL-10, Whelen wps-2905, Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000, and a Federal Enterprises Model-2

Kd8reh
New User

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks I will give them a try. There is a local shop that has worked on siren motors before so I will try them if West shore doesn't have anything. Just need to find a control panel for it now.

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:25 am

Yeah I second the motor shop option, if the motor isn't far too gone that is.
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

OHIO Desperado

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Tractor Supply also has bolts, up to 4 inches I believe in most sizes and sells them by the pound.

Take care when removing the rotor from the motor shaft as I know of an STL-10 that the rotor was broken while they were trying to remove it at a motor shop. Repairing and rebalancing the rotor is a chore to get done so try to avoid that.

Hopefully the issue with the locked motor is nothing more than a stuck lower bearing. And the bearing mount isn't rusted to the point it can't be easily repaired. THe motor is steel / cast iron so repairs may be possible by welding it up and remachining the the hole for the bearing to set in. Again, not cheap but will work as long as it's done right.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”