metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Re: What do sirens in your area warn of?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:50 pm

St Louis county MO is 3 to 5 minutes of alert for tornado warnings and 1 minute of alert for tests. Thankfully I can hear them loud and clear even in my home in neighboring Jefferson county. Those 2910s sure do carry well. As far as I know they haven't been utilized for anything but tornado.warnings. The older system that was replaced recently used to occasionally be tested in fast wail back in the 80s up to the early 90s. I assume that was due to the cold war. The tbolts would default to attack while the 3016s would fast wail.

Unit of Civil Defense

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:54 pm

No paticular order..... It's Monday and it's lunch time if the weather is right, Tornados or "funny looking clouds that could become a Tornado as reported by someone with in the county ranks with a 2-way radio".... not a funnel or even a wall cloud ....true story :? , further increase in the amount of taxes paid to the county...some how the sirens are used as a political pawn in this game.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Urbanexplorer
YouTube Username: 500 Internal Server Error

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm

carexpertandy wrote:Have you even realized that Hamilton County and every surrounding county that had the policy of sounding the sirens for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning with a Tornado Watch eliminated it in 2011?
Nope. Did not know that.
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Formerly known as "Conky 2000".

Manitoba

YouTube Username: Jakob Hill

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:56 am

The model 2 in my town was disconnected a long time ago, but I'm almost certain it was used for fire calls.

The model 2 in Gimli, Canada has a strange plan.

2-3 Minutes of Alert is used to signal fire calls (I think the website is outdated, since they've only sounded for 45 seconds whenever I heard them).

Continuous Alert (more than 45 seconds, I guess until power fails or something) means there is an emergency, and to take cover immediately.

Attack is used as an all clear signal.

Other: During the Icelandic Festival and on Canada Day, the siren is sounded for 45 seconds of alert, 5 minutes prior to the start of the fireworks show. I've yet to figure out why.

Apparently, the siren was only activated once for an emergency, back in the summer of 2003(?) for a downburst that caused moderate damage in Gimli and nearby Fraserwood.

Also, on a different note, Selkirk has a Model 5 on the water treatment plant, but I unfortunately do not know if it sounds or what it sounds for.
~Jakob, Lover of Loud Things~
~Proud owner of an MS-290 siren, a set of Wolo air horns, and a GE FireShield Plus FACP!~

Im a Siren Addict3
YouTube Username: compgb

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:04 am

Had to dig up ours. City sent out info with utility bills last summer and posted to Facebook once so here is what we sound ours for.

"Very Important information on Drumright Tornado Siren Policy. Please read and share!

The policy of the Drumright Fire Department regarding sounding the Outdoor Warning Sirens (OWSs) is as follows:

Outdoor Warning Sirens are sounded if one of the following occurs:
1. A rotation signature is showing on radar 10 miles in any direction of Drumright city limits traveling with a storm heading in the direction of Drumright
2. Spotters in the field advise of tight rotation, funnel clouds or cloud to ground tornados are seen.
3. Reports from the news channels advise of a tornado on the ground, heading in the direction of Drumright or southwest/west of Cushing.
4. Straight Line Winds are detected by spotters or Radar at 75 MPH or higher

If the storm dissipates before it gets within 10 miles (by radar) from the city limits we do not sound the sirens, however keep our spotters in the field to keep a close eye on cloud conditions. A misconception with tornadoes is they move as fast as the wind speeds they produce. The average speed of a tornado is approximately 30-35 MPH. That gives the DFD a 15 minute alert time with a tornado within 10 miles.

The Drumright Fire Department won't sound sirens for the following:
1. Thunderstorms
2. High Winds (Unless it can be determined that speeds exceed 75 MPH)
3. Wall Clouds
4. Rotating Clouds without funnels
5. Flooding
6. All Clear signal"
The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.
Edmund Burke

Andys Live WX
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: andyt1424

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:35 am

Tornado Warnings issued by the NWS, or local spotter reports indicating a tornado. Sirens in Watonwan County will sound in Attack for 3 or more minutes.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
http://www.somnwx,com
Owner of a 3T22A

Melvin Potts

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:39 am

Nashville sounds the sirens whenever a tornado warning is issued for Davidson County.

The sirens sound in "attack" mode for 3 minutes when the warning is given. They are activated every 8 minutes throughout duration of the warning.

Regular test is first Saturday of month at noon; one minute of "attack."

Williamson County(next county S of us) has 3 systems; Brentwood, Franklin, and one for the county. All 3 use the "attack" signal for 3 minutes in event of tornado warning, but don't keep activating the sirens like Nashville does.

The above mentioned systems are tested at 1 PM on 1st Saturday of the month; also a minute of "attack."

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Hazmat, thunderstorm warnings/55+ MPH winds, tornado warnings.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Unit of Civil Defense

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Roblox Synther wrote:.......................
Also, on a different note, Selkirk has a Model 5 on the water treatment plant, but I unfortunately do not know if it sounds or what it sounds for.
Possibly sound for a Chroline leak?
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

floor-a-matic
YouTube Username: electrolux1205

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:20 pm

In Wood Co OH: Tornado warnings; & smaller towns also for fire calls

In Webb Co, TX: Mostly 2001s of various generations from roundbacks to 130s & a few T-135s, 508s & Sentrys replacing some roundback 2001s or popping out in newer subdivisions (colonias) Tornado Warnings (only if funnel cloud or confirmed tornado spotted; ONLY in affected areas NOT countywide); Hurricane Warnings (inland flooding) & Border Patrol (not sure for what purpose?)

Full 3 minute Steady (Alert) tone in both areas Once per each warning & no all clear signal.
Proud owner of two 2T22s & a 3T22; & might acquire a roundback 2001 soon

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”