CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Re: What do sirens in your area warn of?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Warren County Oh: Alert for tornado warnings. Alert or attack is used for chemical disasters.
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Theoretically: Tornadoes
Reality: Siren Tests

Let me explain, there have been a few tornado warnings in my town in the years I have lived here, I have NEVER heard the sirens sound for a warning. A co-worker who is a fireman told me that if I hear the sirens, run for cover because the Fire Chief only sounds them if we are in the direct path of the funnel.

Oh and a local establishment on the edge of town has a Model 5 on the roof that does a "whistle" at 4:30pm quitting time. Used to be just on Fridays but I think they might do it every day now. Said establishment deals with the mentally handicapped, so I wonder if the siren was originally to warn of an escape.

LukeH

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Pewamo: Rsh-10 thunderbeam
3min attack: tornado
1min alert: noon every day
3min alert: all available volunteer firemen and EMT report to fire station immediately and wait for further instruction

Fowler: Federal Signal 2001
2 3min alert tones: tornado
Last edited by LukeH on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

countypoletop

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:29 am

I, we, activate our sirens for tornadoes and hazardous materials incidents

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:56 am

In Sheboygan we do,
Test every other Wednesday 3min of alert.
Tornados we do alert as long as we need to.
Attacks Attack as long as we need to.
Chemical emergency?
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

derelyth

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:52 pm

We have a Modulator in a facility that whilst I've lived in this are for 20+ years I have no idea what it is. I do believe however it is military:

http://goo.gl/maps/gU3g5 Signal unknown.

Another system is a Radioactivity leak warning system at HM Naval Base in Portsmouth due to it being home to the Royal Navy's Nuclear Submarines. It is tested every few months and consists of at least four Carter/Castle Castings sirens which sounds in attack and scares the crap out of people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1T1nypBDA

I have also read that there is one the other side of the harbour in the RNAD (Royal Naval Ammunitions Dump but (quote) "there isn't anything nuclear there...at all..."

There is also a similar siren at an Ammunitions port in Southampton that is sounded when live ammo is moving in/out/around the port. Attack signal.
UK Siren Fan!

nathancovey
YouTube Username: Nate Dog

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Macomb County, MI: Alert for tests and thunderstorm warnings, Attack for tornado warnings.
I am in Ms. Scott's classroom right now. It's 12:45 PM.

theroofable

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Cape May County:
Mainland towns: Fires. Island Towns: Fires, Floods, Evacuations. 90% of the island towns have electronic sirens systems while 90% of inland towns only have 1 mechanical siren at the fire station. However, most towns have enough fire stations that a siren can be heard from any area in the town. Every volunteer fire department still uses sirens for fire calls. Most are not on night timers. 1 diaphone still in service in the county.

LukeH

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:30 pm

nathancovey wrote:Macomb County, MI: Alert for tests and thunderstorm warnings, Attack for tornado warnings.
There is NO county in our state that sounds sirens for thunderstorm warnings. However, Macomb WILL sound for severe thunderstorms that have potential to produce winds in excess of 70mph. Please stop posting vauge/incorrect/frivolous information!!
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Allenorgan42099

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:31 pm

theroofable wrote:Cape May County:
Mainland towns: Fires. Island Towns: Fires, Floods, Evacuations. 90% of the island towns have electronic sirens systems while 90% of inland towns only have 1 mechanical siren at the fire station. However, most towns have enough fire stations that a siren can be heard from any area in the town. Every volunteer fire department still uses sirens for fire calls. Most are not on night timers. 1 diaphone still in service in the county.
I'm in Cape May County right now (Strathmere). They have a Model 2 on the roof of their fire station. Been coming for a long time and I think I've only heard it go off once. Is it active, do you know?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”