The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:59 pm 

YouTube Username: NorthEast Car Washes
Discord: Phryozz #5522
Mecklenburg County, Lincoln County And Gaston County In North Carolina have a lot of 2001-SRN's for the McGuire Nuclear Power Plant. They also go off for Tornado warnings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:17 pm 

YouTube Username: N/A
Discord: N/A
The only sirens in my town are inactive fire sirens. Nearby are the fire sirens in Long Island, and the Shabbat sirens in Brooklyn.

Your car, air conditioner, burglar alarm, fire alarm, siren, and plane enthusiast.

Proud owner of a few General Electric door contact alarms, a Honeywell Ademco 6160 Keypad, and various electronic widgets.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:43 am 

Franklin County sirens, as far as I know, have only ever been activated for tornado warnings. They will theoretically activate for other emergencies at the EMA’s discretion, with live voice too. As far as other sirens in my area go, there are a few at Columbus State for campus emergencies (never used afaik) and there is a random ATI/eClass speaker atop an office building near Polaris (again, unknown if used and for what). Dublin has a system of Thor guards for lightning detection as well.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:15 am 

YouTube Username: Snowpix7911
Sarnia, Ontario - A whole load of ATI HPSS-32s sound every Monday at 12:30PM for a test. They're in place to warn of a chemical leak/explosion at one of the many chemical and oil plants in the area. They also warn of potential tornadoes and severe weather. A Federal Signal Modulator 3012 and one of the very few Thunderbolt 1003s in Canada join the ATIs for the weekly test.
There's a few fire sirens dotted around as well, unknown if they actually sound or not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:16 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Im in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia. Our 12 FS 2001’s are used for tornado warnings.

1979 2T22A , model 3 1/2, model 7 , 1986 Thunderbolt 1000A

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:26 pm 

YouTube Username: NECRailfan505
The Whelen 2800's and 2900's are fire call sirens, along with 3 STH-10's, a Model 2, a Model 2T, and a Sterling M-5. There is an old STH down at Susquehanna HC that was a fire siren, but was "too loud." There are 3 EOWS 612's that are dam release sirens, along with an OA-2 and a 4004. There are I-Forces in APG, they are used as giant voice sirens and replaced BN44E's and T-bolts. Then there are the Peach Bottom NPP T-128 AC/DCs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:03 am 

YouTube Username: TrainsAndSirens1
My county (Spartanburg County) has a system of many types of old and new sirens.

Alert: Tornado Warning
Attack: Hazard materials, attack warning, other emergencies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:22 pm 

YouTube Username: N/A
Discord: N/A
There are the Indian Point HPSS32 and HPSS16R sirens that belong to Indian Point. In a nearby town, a Whelen siren sounds Air Horn and Fast Wail multiple times a day for god knows what reason. It's not mounted on a fire station. I have a video of the ambiance of the Air Horn. I believe there are 2.

Your car, air conditioner, burglar alarm, fire alarm, siren, and plane enthusiast.

Proud owner of a few General Electric door contact alarms, a Honeywell Ademco 6160 Keypad, and various electronic widgets.