coastalsyrolover

Generator for sirens (Thunderbolt)

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:39 am

Okay folks. I have a 220V 3ph thunderbolt. Does anyone know of any good generators I can get to power the old girl? Also since the blower isn't stock, if I get one that isn't the same voltage, I'd have to run the chopper and blower on separate physical plug ins rather than going through the RCM1 correct? I just need to make sure I haven't overlooked something.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Wdr

Re: Generator for sirens (Thunderbolt)

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:52 pm

A generator is not going to be cheap regardless. I’d say you are probably best off looking for a military surplus unit as they have better motor start ability than a civilian unit, also are available 3 phase in smaller sizes. They used be cheap, not so much anymore. The only kind I ever see that are cheap are larger stationary units (50kw and up, 2000+ lbs).

Unit of Civil Defense

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:25 pm

....from my military experience being a 52D-10 .......providing AC power in the field.....
For a 3 ph siren you simply cannot go below 50hz cycles or you will turn your beloved siren into a brick. If your looking at military or possibly state surplus, a 60kw or greater power unit will provide you with a safe 50hz cycle along with the amps and voltage needed.
Unless you really know your way around one of these beast I'd advise against it, they can kill you....not worth the trouble as far as I'm concerned.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:46 pm

The air cooled diesel genny that Holler has (military surplus is his) is a very good unit. There were a couple for sale recently and there are a few videos of them. I just forget its name. Regardless i some are proper 3 phase generators which go from 50 to 75 cycles. They also have air recirculators etc. for cold weather.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 pm

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Okay folks. I have a 220V 3ph thunderbolt. Does anyone know of any good generators I can get to power the old girl? Also since the blower isn't stock, if I get one that isn't the same voltage, I'd have to run the chopper and blower on separate physical plug ins rather than going through the RCM1 correct? I just need to make sure I haven't overlooked something.
It’s not worth it honestly. You’re better off replacing the rotator motor with a single phase 1/3HP one, and tracking down an RCM1B. Then you can run it off of the grid without the hassle and price premium of a generator.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

coastalsyrolover

Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:39 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 pm
coastalsyrolover wrote:
It’s not worth it honestly. You’re better off replacing the rotator motor with a single phase 1/3HP one, and tracking down an RCM1B. Then you can run it off of the grid without the hassle and price premium of a generator.
Can you plug a 240 single phase blower motor into a regular generator by itself?

Unit of Civil Defense

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:12 am

I don't know if I would be plugging a blower motor for a siren into a generator......I would start with a generator that you actually hard wire the blower into.
You can plug in to or hard wire what ever you want into a generator....the generator is stupid and doesn't know any better...with that being said you need to take into consideration amp draw with no load, amp draw under load before worrying about voltage...the generator may be good for 240v single phase or what ever is claimed on the box it came in, but I can guarantee you that voltage rating will become worthless to you when that blower or siren starts tripping the fuse(s) due to an amp draw that it simply was not designed for...or worse low voltage out put to the motor which will damage it as well without necessarily tripping the fuse.

I may have to dig some of my old tech manuals out if I can remember where there at... there is a formula for figuring out how many amps and how much voltage you will need to run AC power on any given piece of machinery.....all I can recall is that you take the amounts and increase it by a certain % for your answer.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

NKTBOLT
YouTube Username: Sirens & Warning

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:28 pm

coastalsyrolover wrote:
I would advise replacing the motors, or getting a VFD to run the whole unit off a generator on the RCM 3 without the hassle of replacing the motors.
Very proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000B Full unit, a fully restored Model 5B, A Full Model 2 Unit, a Model A, a crank siren, and several mini sirens! :TBolt:

coastalsyrolover

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:11 am

NKTBOLT wrote:
coastalsyrolover wrote:
I would advise replacing the motors, or getting a VFD to run the whole unit off a generator on the RCM 3 without the hassle of replacing the motors.
Hmm... now there’s an idea. Oh and just for an advisory: the RCM3 is the solenoid runner on the 1003... we have RCM1s :) but I know of a few rural/remote fire stations that may be willing to do that...

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:57 pm

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:11 am
NKTBOLT wrote:
coastalsyrolover wrote:
Hmm... now there’s an idea. Oh and just for an advisory: the RCM3 is the solenoid runner on the 1003... we have RCM1s :) but I know of a few rural/remote fire stations that may be willing to do that...
Variable Frequency Drive not Voulenteer Fire Department.....
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”