Pete

Re: 1964 Civil Defense Matching Funds Siren List "The List"

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
On the last page of the California entries, it lists "Federal Tritone" as being a category 625.

Wonder what that is. The only siren I know that plays a musical interval of a Tri-Tone is the HOR...
I suspect that is a listing for a Thunderbolt 1003. Novato CA had a Tbolt on the Police HQ, I think it's gone now.

I suspect some scrambling of the siren types.

That makes perfect sense..."Tri-tone" being a 1003 or 3T22 .. something that can make three different sounds. Good call!

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:23 pm

holler wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:Also, Jumbo Allertors could be under the 618 category.
I thought we had already proven that the Jumbo Allertor was just a myth.
No. There was in fact a 25 HP Allertor. How many were produced, or if it even made it past the prototype stage is unknown.
Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:If 616 is an HOR, has anyone seen any around Palatine, IL? It says that one "616" was installed there.
Doubtful. Their old system was Thunderbolts and xT22's.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Now that I think about it, the list says Savannah had a CD system I can confirm this. There are a couple of darleys in Chatham Co. (Off of I-95 and in Isle of Hope, (There was one in Pooler, but it is gone due to the water tower it was on being demolished), A Model 5 in bloomingdale (also gone), There was a 2t22 at Pulaski Elementary, but it is gone, 2 STH-10s in Downtown Savannah (County Courthouse and Stillwater building) A model 2 (Was at a tugboat station on River St. that was demolished), Some sort of siren was at the fire station on Bee Rd. in E. Savannah (evident by a twin pole and platform setup being at that station), but I have no idea what it was, and of course, there is the Scottish Rite Building Thunderbolt, which was in Forrest Gump as shown below:
Attachments
fg tbolt.png
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

WhelenBoy
YouTube Username: Joshua Hamilton

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Yess! Thank you Adam!!! I've been SERIOUSLY needing AZ's siren Info!
Proud owner of a Gridfaced Thunderbolt 2000, Thunderbolt 1000 and 1000T, two SD-10's, and a Federal Electric Model D.

-Joshua H.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Hate to bump an aging topic, but there are a few things I have in mind:
  • I'm thinking that 611 could be either Police/Fire sirens, or a School Emergency bell system of some sort, as the only possible siren that could fit that category is the Sentry 95, which is rare to begin with.
  • Also, I came across a weird numeral for Colonie, which is a small place in Albany, NY. A Thunderbolt there should be enough, but it has a (64) in the left hand corner, which doesn't make sense.
  • For an extra bonus since I am bumping this, here is a mind blowing purchase-look under "Erie, County Of" on the second picture
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Yay topic bump, not...?

I was reviewing this list some off three years after it was posted and noticed some peculiar stuff in regards to Atlanta, Georgia:

The list says the city had 18 "617" and 9 "615" This is somewhat correct yet somewhat incorrect.

Atlanta had the following sirens:
Thunderbolts (Although I believe those came in after 1978, as that's when the only confirmed one (1003) was installed)
SD-10s (Only one left in ATL proper, others sold to Cobb Co. with one going to Oxford, GA)
Altec Lansing setup (only one, removed 2016)
Mobil-Directos
Model 5s (One was sold to Palmetto after removal, but was removed 11/16)
Model Ds

I think personally whoever made this map combined DeKalb and Atlanta together. DeKalb obtained 20 some odd thunderbolts between 1962 and 1963 through OCD grants (All of them had the square OCD matching funds sticker on the blower cover). None of the Atlanta sirens to my understanding were purchased through such means. Although that may seem biased because the only remaining ATL sirens do not have OCD funds stickers to my understanding, or they probably did and rotted away. Thunderbolts would also be slightly anachronistic as I believe those came in during the 1970's (when a chunk of the MDs were replaced). If the 18 "617"s aren't DeKalb Tbolts, then I do not know what they could correspond to. At the time (1964), All ATL really had were MDs and SD-10s. DeKalb Co., however is not listed as a separate entity, thus leading me to believe the list is a hodge-podge of DeKalb and Fulton sirens. My point is however, the ATL list is quite incomplete, which would probably make sense seeing as how they had to do tons of cities. I just noticed that on the list and thought it was worth pointing out. It also listed 4 sirens in Marietta. This is correct as before the acquisitions of surplus SD-10s and Tbolts in 89 and before the Smyrna STH-10 installs in the late 70s, all Cobb had were 2 SD-10s and tbolts in marietta, and one Sterling in Acworth.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Jared H
YouTube Username: The Siren Seekers
Discord: shodowhater#1003

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Holy mother of pearl, what an eye-opener.
So Grand Prairie had a system even before their last ACA system went in. I guess this explains that one lone hornless STH that always seemed out of place.
San Antonio had Thunderbolts! Wonder where they went
So San Angelo's SD-10s and Thunderbolts are all the same age.
Corpus had Thunderbolts and a few SD10/2t22s?! Where did THEY go? I've heard things about them currently having 2750s.
Last edited by Jared H on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------
Apparently the chat room is haunted... -VASirens 2015
Friendly Neighborhood Thunderboltologist, if such a thing exists.

FedTB

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:25 pm

The list seems to be right on, as far as what I'm familiar with in the St. Louis metro area. The City of St. Louis did, indeed, have 127 "615's", which were STL-10's. St. Louis County at the time had 18 "617's", which were Thunderbolt 1000's. All true.

The list includes a few of the St. Louis County suburbs: Webster Groves having 9 "615's", which were SD-10's. I saw two of these back in the early 1980's; I didn't realize they had nine. Creve Coeur had 4 "615's", again, SD-10's. I can vouch that this is true, since I saw one back in the early '80's. Not sure where the other three were located. Ladue had 4 "615's", SD-10's or 2T-22's. I never saw any of those. Brentwood had 1 "617", a white T-Bolt which was located on the roof of their City Hall. I saw that many times, but it's long gone. Interesting to see that Maplewood also had a "617", T-Bolt. I'm not sure where it was located but I'd like to find out.

SuperBanshee

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 pm

Going through the Wisconsin section for sake of perspective...

1. Fond du Lac had 3 Thunderbolts at the time, with others being added later on.
2. Clintonville was only using a Thunderbolt 1000 at the time because their famous Red Arrow Model 12 got plastered by lightning and was down for a while before it came back.
3. The 130 decibel sirens in Milwaukee County were older Mobil Directos. How they got 130 decibels from those and 125 from other Mobil Directos is a mystery.
4. Horicon had a Model 5 at the time.
5. Oconomowoc had a Thunderbolt for Civil Defense.
6. Port Edwards had a 3T22 for fire and Civil Defense.
7. Beaver Dam had a dual tone Mobil Directo.
8. The smaller sirens in Milwaukee County were Federal or Darley Model 2s.

The categorized siren decibel rating classifications began around 1950. Basically your siren had to pass FCDA testing to ensure it put out the specific level of decibels required for which ever classification it was supposed to fit in. If your product didn't meet requirements, it would not be certified and may even be blacklisted from sales. As Civil Defense receded during the 1970s, the categorized siren decibel rating system was quietly discarded. It was just too much of a pain to classify sirens by decibel rating at 100 feet because the actual sound power varies considerately depending on several factors including height of siren installation, ambient noise that may hamper the siren's sound coverage, how the siren itself is set up ("reverse wired" Allertors for example), and so much else. Nifty.

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:16 am

can you find out all of marshfield MOs sirens
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”