OHIO Desperado

Re: Are there any more Thunderbolts in Franklin County Ohio?

Sat May 16, 2020 1:51 am

To address the question. There are no working Thunderbolts in Franklin Co. The 1003 in West Jefferson is non-working as well. In addition the other siren on the higher roof has a locked rotor and no longer works. The 1000 in Newark does still sound. The rotor motor in it failed and it does not rotate. It will be replaced in the next few years with a Vortex most likely.

I know there are quotes that have been submitted to remove both sirens off the West Jefferson building.
As well there is a quote in place to replace the 1000 in Newark. And to remove the 1000 from the old Chase building.

As far as the fate of the sirens. If the person I know that wrote both quotes gets them all 3 sirens will be repaired/restored. My guess is that one or more will be put into service in Licking county at other locations.
One of them at his tower for sure.

Startug
YouTube Username: Ohio Sirens
Discord: JamesFisch

Sat May 16, 2020 12:52 pm

I had no idea about the 1000 in Newark still sounding. I passed it several times over the last few years and didn't think that it was simply a failed rotor motor.
Owner of no sirens currently, but is looking to purchase and restore sirens for communities needing them.

OHIO Desperado

Mon May 18, 2020 2:48 am

Startug wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:52 pm
I had no idea about the 1000 in Newark still sounding. I passed it several times over the last few years and didn't think that it was simply a failed rotor motor.

Yep, it might actually be just the belt off or something dumb. But the city doesn't want to put more money into it. And with it being 3phase with no generator, a Vortex is a better option for weather alerting anyway.

tkovack1

YouTube Username: Tommy's Sirens & Aviation

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:06 pm

So...to answer my own question from six years ago: no, there are no more active Thunderbolts in Columbus (Franklin County), Ohio; although there are two still standing that are inactive. The closest active T-bolt is the 1000 in downtown Newark since the Big Island Bolt supposedly stopped working a little under a year ago.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”