Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Re: ACA Hurricane 130 siren

Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:47 pm

nahIDee wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:39 am

Here's something I found on the 2013 satellite image, it has a somewhat similar shape to that of a Hurricane 130 and is also around six feet in length. It could entirely be something else but I guess we'll have to wait and hear from the owners of the lot themselves.
Wow, interesting find! You are right that it does look kind of like a Hurricane MK1. It seems like if they do have it, it has been moved around the yard a few times. Considering that it's mostly made of fiberglass, I'm guessing they haven't been able to scrap it and so they have just kept it laying around for a while if that is in fact the old siren. I'm guessing the blower is already long gone too but I could be wrong.
Ohio_Man wrote: Asking nicely also gets you very far. I got a 3 minute meetup with the mayor of Deer Park after asking about preserving their siren. He gave me the number for the city manager and he said It was mine for the low low price of if you can get it down.

To quote crazy Eddie Antar "You can steal more with a smile than a gun."

Most scrapyards have some stuff they will never scrap. Manhole covers, railroad tracks, things that are someone else's property. It wouldn't surprise me if they were hesitant to scrap something that is/was federal property. If they can't sell scrap,trade it. Or give them more than what it costs scrap value. If it's historical (which it is) you can use that angle till it bends straight.

Not to mention that due to covid steel demand is down, as is the rest of the economy and they may be able to be persuaded to sell the siren since they're probably being flooded with scrappers dumping stuff trying to make a quick buck like at the 3 yards near my place (Cohen Iron and metal, David hirschberg and garden street)

Sirens also aren't much scrap value wise, especially supercharged ones. A used car weighs about 3,000lbs, and a thunderbolt (can't find hurricane weight) is around a third of that.

There's a reason most old sirens are left standing. Cincinnati still has a lot of roof mounted SD 10's and Thunderbolts, because the cost of removing them is more than the cost of scrapping them.

Funny story, the manager of Deer Park told me that someone asked about scrapping their sterling and never got back to him after promising to do so. Probably because the cost of getting a crane and crew to remove and transport the thing would cost more than it would pay.

The siren weighs 300lbs, and with a scrap motor value at .28 cents a pound now, that's only 84 dollars, and that's being generous.

I'd pick up the hurricane while scrap is cheap. Tell them a story. throw some facts, stats and stacks on the table. It's already down so that's a time saver right there.
A few weeks ago someone else did try calling the place and they were told it's probably not open to the public right now. I already tried messaging them on FB since they don't have an e-mail address, so once I get the chance I think I'm going to call them and offer them some cash (like a few hundred) if they have the old siren. I might just find out if they have an e-mail address I could send pictures of the other Hurricane to, that way they could take a look around the yard and let me know.

Also, I don't think a Hurricane siren head would have much, if any scrap value. The only metal worth saving is going to be the chopper and rotation motors, and the rest of it is made of fiberglass. It's also hard to access those from what I have heard, so I could totally see them not bothering with getting the metal out of it and instead leaving it laying somewhere in the yard. From what I have seen, Hurricanes don't weigh very much compared to Thunderbolts either.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:43 am

I took a look at that yard too, and while looking at the 2015 imagery on Google Earth, I came across this object which does look similar to a Hurricane 130:
Possible Baxter Hurricane.png
Possible Baxter Hurricane.png (111.29 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
I also compared the dimensions of the object to the dimensions provided in the Hurricane 130 manual and it was very close! That'd be pretty awesome if that Hurricane still existed!
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:51 am

The shape definitely looks pretty darn close to a H-130 Mk.I.

I thought we would never see the Baxter, MN H-130, but looks like all these years it's been waiting to be discovered.
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Sifed1 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:43 am
I took a look at that yard too, and while looking at the 2015 imagery on Google Earth, I came across this object which does look similar to a Hurricane 130:

Possible Baxter Hurricane.png

I also compared the dimensions of the object to the dimensions provided in the Hurricane 130 manual and it was very close! That'd be pretty awesome if that Hurricane still existed!
I hope someone can obtain this beast. :D
I still post here, but not as much as I used to. :roll:
Casual enthusiast who lives in the natural state of Arkansas.
Hoping to get a siren someday...
Not the brightest mind, but getting there.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:14 pm

That almost has to be it. It's an exact match just about to the other known one, the former Centralia unit. And too, I doubt many more things look exactly like that.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Snowcube

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:49 am

Alright, I have definitely got to check that place out. It's not too far from my family's cabin I go up to every few weeks. Those images were taken almost 5 years ago, but if it sat there 8 years I could see it sitting there 5 more. I think my best bet is going to be to offer them a big wad of cash for it if they do have it.
Thingiverse page

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:50 am

Zarlog wrote:
Alright, I have definitely got to check that place out. It's not too far from my family's cabin I go up to every few weeks. Those images were taken almost 5 years ago, but if it sat there 8 years I could see it sitting there 5 more. I think my best bet is going to be to offer them a big wad of cash for it if they do have it.
Well, if you're not far from it then I don't see why not go check it out? That's probably one of the best ways to go find out if it's still there.
I wish the best of luck to you!
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Zarlog wrote:
I cannot wait for some close ups!
I still post here, but not as much as I used to. :roll:
Casual enthusiast who lives in the natural state of Arkansas.
Hoping to get a siren someday...
Not the brightest mind, but getting there.

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:45 pm

"I just wanted to say good luck, we're all counting on you."

-Leslie Neilson,Airplane!
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Snowcube

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:05 pm

I'll see what I can do! Just don't get your hopes up too much.
Thingiverse page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”