championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

2001s in Harford Co. MD and York county PA?

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:57 am

Hey guys!
I have some questions about the 2001s that used to be in HCMD and YCPA. I fondly remember a system of 2001-130s that was set up around Northern HCMD and Southern YCPA. These were here for around 5 years, and then they were gone... It's a shame I didn't have my phone at the time I became a siren enthusiast. I remember when I was traveling to the Twin Silos restaurant and see a 130 that looked freshly installed! I even remember that it was pointing Southwest when I saw it! It looked huge on the pole, and I looked at it like "why is there a 130 here?" But like I said, I go back on satellite and I can't seem to find it! I remember another on MD-136 near the MD-PA line, yet again I was very confused when I saw it. I was only 11 at the time (and of course not on the board) so like I said, I didn't have a phone or camera to take a picture of it with. I also remember a time that I was at a summer camp, and heard the 2001s TESTING! IN ALERT! I even asked my instructor what it was and she said it was Peach Bottom testing.
Every time I go up 136, I look for that 2001 but never find it.
Another childhood memory of the sirens is when the SWA happened in 2018(??) and I'm thinking to myself "I bet the 130s are going off."

So, let's get to the point. Do any of you guys know what happened to these sirens? And why they were installed in the first place?
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Bijay
YouTube Username: 5ijay

Re: 2001s in Harford Co. MD and York county PA?

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:34 am

Must I say, your camp instructor is correct! Those 2001-130s were once part of the Peach Bottom Early Warning System. They were installed with the T-128s when the former Thunderbolt system was being replaced in 2013. They were removed in 2018 and replaced by T-128s nearby or on their former locations.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG
Your unlocal PNW resident!

Email : [email protected]

AmericanElevators
New User
YouTube Username: njsirens
Discord: тяαηsριяε∂ | Will#4278

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:38 am

Those 2001s were part of the Peach Bottom system. When BayComm had gotten the contract for the East Coast plants under AmerGen at the time, all sirens were upgraded to have Federal FCs. Sirens that were already dead or problematic were replaced by 2001s. This is why you see Three Mile Island and Peach Bottom having 2001s of different eras on their system. Everything from SRNs to -130s. Eventually, the plants, now under Exelon would change who they contracted with sirens, awarding ANS (ASC) with all the plants on the East Coast. Everything was replaced with no sirens spared. This would have happened between 2012 and 2014. All legacy sirens (ACA being Penetrators, Cyclones and Banshees; Federal being Thunderbolts and the 2001s) were replaced, and most of them scrapped. If you were to open Google Earth and look on the South side of Three Mile Island, you would see these sirens piled up awaiting their fate. Of course, this pile doesn't exist anymore, vanishing from aerial by 2016. A few of these legacy sirens in Three Mile Island still stand, only because of Exelon and ANS agreeing to abandon them in place due to it being unsafe to remove them.

Many of the AmerGen plants also had done a full test monthly at the time and of course, their normal signal being alert. Exelon has since moved their tests to twice a year, once in June and the other in December.

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to tell Luke this...
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”