Thundercode
YouTube Username: тнυndercode
Discord: Thundercode

Central Florida & Surrounding Siren Dicussion

Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 pm

I am a newer member to this forum, just thought I'd make that clear. But I live in Central Florida, Ocala to be exact, but there is a major drawback. In this area and Florida in general, there is very few sirens! :tired: There is only ONE I know of nearby and its in a small town called Orange Lake at the fire station, which used to be a volunteer FD, clearly what siren was used for. I'm pretty positive its a Banshee but can't say for sure. The only siren system near is in Crystal River, for the nuclear power plant, but its a bunch of Whelen Omni-Directionals(yawn), but there is a Fedelcode at a VFD Somewhere there, I'll try to insert a street view image. Ocala supposedly had an (unknown) siren at a fire department that would have been VERY near my house but sadly the station was demolished sometime in the 80s or 90s. Well on topic of the topic, I guess this is for general Florida siren discussions & such but mainly for this area. Hopefully some "hidden jems" will be found in the surrounding area :D! But it is truly hard to be a siren enthusiast in a place with very few sirens. :| But here is the link for streetview of the what appears to be some sort of Fedelcode(please correct me if I'm wrong), its actually in a place near Crystal River called Ozello, you can clearly see one of the Whelens part of the Crystal River Nuclear Power Plant system. Sadly I do not have a picture of the Orange Lake Siren.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8327506 ... 6656?hl=en

GabrielFairchild

Re: Central Florida & Surrounding Siren Dicussion

Thu May 19, 2016 1:38 am

Oveido,FL has a system of ten 20001-130's.
The city is in central Florida near Orlando.
The siren at Frendship Park was the first siren
I ever heard go off.
Proud owner of a fully restored Federal Signal Model 5AT, Federal Signal Model D, and a bunch of small alarms and sirens.

Thundercode

Thu May 19, 2016 3:17 am

Interesting. The first siren I heard(and infact what got me into this hobby) was one of the Crystal River Whelens, which I have no idea how many there are exactly but there is a lot of them.

Thundercode

Thu May 19, 2016 3:38 am

I managed to get a good view of the Orange Lake siren on streetview, from what I have heard, it has been inactive for a while. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Orang ... !1e1?hl=en But that is for SURE not a Banshee, almost looks like a Model 2 with some sort of custom housing. Might have to put this on the Mystery Sirens thread. :\ This is also the only known still existing siren in the entire Marion County area, which includes my home city of Ocala.

GabrielFairchild

Thu May 19, 2016 11:52 am

I will make a post about Oviedo, FL with pictures some time this week.
Proud owner of a fully restored Federal Signal Model 5AT, Federal Signal Model D, and a bunch of small alarms and sirens.

Fletch

Sun May 22, 2016 4:37 pm

I believe Polk City had a siren for decades. Don't know if it is still there. I remember some news story about it in the 90's.

Used to be quite a few fire/CD sirens around the Tampa Bay area but most were removed by the late '80s. :TBolt:

Did Orlando have a CD system at one point?

Thundercode

Sun May 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Orlando probably did and still does maybe because of Universal Studios and attractions. But none that I know of, I went to Orlando about a week ago and did not see any sirens.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sun May 22, 2016 8:37 pm

TOXBOX12 wrote:Orlando probably did and still does maybe because of Universal Studios and attractions. But none that I know of, I went to Orlando about a week ago and did not see any sirens.
Orlando had a system of Thunderbolts and 5T's last I recalled, but they were removed in the late 80's to early 90's. The Tampa Bay area was mostly Thunderbolts with other miscellaneous Federal Signal sirens in the mix. Most of those are now gone with the exception of the Thunderbolt 1000 on the Pinellas County Jail in Clearwater, and *possibly* a Thunderbolt in downtown Tampa. Jacksonville had Thunderbolts, SD-10's, Model 2's and 500AT's. Miami had Thunderbolt 2000's, 2T22's, Chryslers and various other Federal Signal sirens. Most of these are all gone now, whether they were removed at the end of the cold war, or a hurricane took them down.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Thundercode

Sun May 22, 2016 8:46 pm

There is actually a Thunderbolt I discovered in Tampa - St. Pete area, was on top of one of the larger buildings which I looked to be a city service place, according to when I saw it and streetview, it had not changed in direction, so clearly it hasn't been operational in a while. Ill try to get a streetview image of it. Is probably the rumored one you mentioned

Thundercode

Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 pm

TOXBOX12 wrote:There is actually a Thunderbolt I discovered in Tampa - St. Pete area, was on top of one of the larger buildings which I looked to be a city service place, according to when I saw it and streetview, it had not changed in direction, so clearly it hasn't been operational in a while. Ill try to get a streetview image of it. Is probably the rumored one you mentioned
Managed to get a good angle of it, if that isn't a thunderbolt then I'm not a siren enthusiast! https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7710424 ... 6656?hl=en This is also actually the first Thunderbolt I have ever seen in person too! :D I saw it from that angle in person as well because I was in that area when I spotted it up there.

Return to “Community Systems”