washington

YouTube Username: @SirensOfWA
Discord: @imperialisticamerican

Spokane, WA Civil Defense system

Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:01 am

I've been living in the mid-sized city of Spokane WA for about 12 years now, and wanted to know a bit more on the old air raid siren system that the city had. All I know is that they had SD-10s and Chryslers which were decommissioned in 1995 and auctioned off in 2000. I don't know if there were more types of sirens in the city, or if they were used for other purposes besides attacks. All info is appreciated.
15 year old siren enthusiast and YouTuber from Spokane Washington.
If you happen to have any info on my city's old siren system PM me. all info appreciated.

Bijay
YouTube Username: 5ijay

Re: Spokane, WA Civil Defense system

Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:36 am

Spokane, WA had a fairly diverse system of just Federal sirens as far as my knowledge currently serves.

The system in Spokane was comprised of Model Bs, Model 2s, 1 Model 3, SD-10s, 3 Thunderbolts, and 3 Chryslers - 1 which was replaced by an SD-10 later down the line.

Something I would also like to mention is that Spokane also put on a purchase of 17 Whelen WS-3000s from Cowlitz County in 1991. They were going to be installed and used for Civilian Defense; however, this never happened. These sirens did wound up in Pierce County as indicated by the numbers on the side of the Whelen panel seen on Ex-Cowlitz County Whelens (prefix 2##).

As per Feb 24, 2000 when the sirens went into surplus, places in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington all purchased sirens from Spokane.

(most) of Spokane's siren system and where some sirens went off can be seen on my Pacific Northwest CD Map : https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit? ... sp=sharing
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG
Your unlocal PNW resident!

Email : [email protected]

washington

Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:25 am

Bijay wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:36 am
Spokane, WA had a fairly diverse system of just Federal sirens as far as my knowledge currently serves.

The system in Spokane was comprised of Model Bs, Model 2s, 1 Model 3, SD-10s, 3 Thunderbolts, and 3 Chryslers - 1 which was replaced by an SD-10 later down the line.

Something I would also like to mention is that Spokane also put on a purchase of 17 Whelen WS-3000s from Cowlitz County in 1991. They were going to be installed and used for Civilian Defense; however, this never happened. These sirens did wound up in Pierce County as indicated by the numbers on the side of the Whelen panel seen on Ex-Cowlitz County Whelens (prefix 2##).

As per Feb 24, 2000 when the sirens went into surplus, places in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington all purchased sirens from Spokane.

(most) of Spokane's siren system and where some sirens went off can be seen on my Pacific Northwest CD Map : https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit? ... sp=sharing
Alright, thanks for the info. Also, do you think any SD-10s or Model Xs are just like sitting in a lot and weren't sold?
If you happen to have any info on my city's old siren system PM me. all info appreciated.

Bijay
YouTube Username: 5ijay

Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:16 am

washington wrote:
Alright, thanks for the info. Also, do you think any SD-10s or Model Xs are just like sitting in a lot and weren't sold?
Well you would have to ask the city on that. I did find one SD-10 that managed to survive up until 2008 - but at this point I'm fairly sure it's been scrapped or sold... I couldn't tell you.
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG
Your unlocal PNW resident!

Email : [email protected]

washington

Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:10 am

Bijay wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:16 am
washington wrote:
Well you would have to ask the city on that. I did find one SD-10 that managed to survive up until 2008 - but at this point I'm fairly sure it's been scrapped or sold... I couldn't tell you.
Alright, thank you.

Return to “Community Systems”