freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

General Alabama Siren Discussion

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:42 am

Thought that this would be a good idea to do, since there isn't an easy way to collect the scattered info on sirens here in Alabama, without searching all across the board.

To start us off is a new Sentry 20V1T that's going to be installed here in Madison County, as per the Sirens for Cities Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/13231860012898 ... =3&theater

Not sure where it'll go up at the moment, but I did send a message to emofficer asking about it. Will be interesting to see where it goes though. Wonder if it's replacing any of the older sirens, such as one of the 2001s? :2001:
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Sean juth
YouTube Username: Sean juth

Re: General Alabama Siren Discussion

Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Ive taken everything off this post
Last edited by Sean juth on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE DONT TAKE ANYTHING I SAY SERIOUSLY!
Sean C
I own a whelen 2800 cell, a busted beyond repair 2904 (used to be a 2909) and a black whelen 400 watt speaker driver.
I want the model d from Paint Rock Alabama
Huntsville Alabama Native

emofficer

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:33 am

The siren for Riverton Intermediate was put up in the early to mid 2000s. Same for Riverton Elementary. The 20V1T is a spare that will be the first one used when a new site is installed or a siren is beyond repair and needs to be replaced. We couldn't afford to replace working sirens for historical reasons, it would cost a lot of money!

T1000 Charlie

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:27 pm

I would be shocked if there weren't several Thunderbolts in a building somewhere on Redstone that were brand new. Flashback to 1965 kids!
There is no such thing as a Thunderbolt that is not worth saving.

freebrickproductions

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:55 am

T1000 Charlie wrote:I would be shocked if there weren't several Thunderbolts in a building somewhere on Redstone that were brand new. Flashback to 1965 kids!
No idea what Redstone's old system was, but it was comprised of Federal, Sterling, and Altec sirens. The last of the old system's sirens is an abandoned Model 2 that still stands on the northern side of the Arsenal.

freebrickproductions

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:04 am

Sean juth wrote:I would like the 2001 sirens removed and replaced with sirens that reflect history of a city this is the reason why old sirens should never be replaced murrfarms is someone who believes this
There is a 2001 siren at Riverton intermediate school on homer nance road in New market I can't get a clear picture of what kind it is but it is most likely a 2001-srn because the school was built in 1995 along with the siren and also it has a smaller federal signal logo
I can't tell what kind it is because I would have to trespass on the property in order to see what kind it is
~Sean
Huntsville alabama
Madison County didn't really have a siren system before the 2001s were installed. Well, there was one, but when you compare it to todays system, it wouldn't cover very much of the county, especially since a large portion of the system was comprised of Model 2s and another large portion was comprised of Altecs that were starting to show their age from what I understrand. Here's a thread I made on the old system for the county that includes a map of the old system:
https://www.thesirenboard.com/forums/vi ... =2&t=17339

Sean juth
YouTube Username: Sean juth

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Sorry about the huge bump up. Huntsville's sirens leave a lot to be desired. First of they have the stupid thought of only placing the sirens at schools, park's, and fire departments. This means that rural areas, where people most likely would be outside are not covered. The county really needs to look into their coverage map, and not spend money without citizen approval
PLEASE DONT TAKE ANYTHING I SAY SERIOUSLY!
Sean C
I own a whelen 2800 cell, a busted beyond repair 2904 (used to be a 2909) and a black whelen 400 watt speaker driver.
I want the model d from Paint Rock Alabama
Huntsville Alabama Native

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:43 am

Sean juth wrote:
Sorry about the huge bump up. Huntsville's sirens leave a lot to be desired. First of they have the stupid thought of only placing the sirens at schools, park's, and fire departments. This means that rural areas, where people most likely would be outside are not covered. The county really needs to look into their coverage map, and not spend money without citizen approval
Schools, parks, and fire stations are exactly where you want the sirens to be. Schools and parks have lots of people outside at any given time, and most fire stations are in developed areas and are on city owned land where the siren can be easily placed without much disturbance. 90% of siren systems are laid out like this. Putting a siren in a rural area doesn’t make a whole lot of sense considering it’ll probably only cover 2 or 3 households.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:56 am

Might as well through up my questions and see if anyone has answers.

Chilton County:

They have a system of finback Vortexes, 2809s, and 2909s. I don't really have any information about the system and don't have anyone to contact about it. The Vortexes seem like they haven't activated in a long time, but at the same time, Whelen's have the "home" position that might be programmed. I would love to know when they test.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

emofficer

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Stormsetter4 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:43 am
Sean juth wrote:
Schools, parks, and fire stations are exactly where you want the sirens to be. Schools and parks have lots of people outside at any given time, and most fire stations are in developed areas and are on city owned land where the siren can be easily placed without much disturbance. 90% of siren systems are laid out like this. Putting a siren in a rural area doesn’t make a whole lot of sense considering it’ll probably only cover 2 or 3 households.
Thank You!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”