Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

ACA Allertor Question

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:05 am

I'm pretty sure its not possible but just out of curiosity, can an Allertor's head turn in the wind? I drove by Southland TX today and the horn was facing the road, but when I came back by it was facing the opposite direction. :shock:

TBOLT233

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:36 am

I would probably say no. In the case of a tornado or hurricane, it probably would turn in the wind (if it was on) and rip from its base.

Jim_Ferer

Yes, Allertors can weathervane

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:41 am

Storm Spotter wrote:I'm pretty sure its not possible but just out of curiosity, can an Allertor's head turn in the wind? I drove by Southland TX today and the horn was facing the road, but when I came back by it was facing the opposite direction. :shock:
I've personally seen Allertors weathervaning, more than once, and more than one installation. I suppose there is some kind of clutch in the rotator system.

Robman2ka

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:35 am

now my memory could definatly had of deceived me, but when i was real little about 5 years old i remeber seeing an allertor do that very thing. It was a really windy and stormy day and the head was definatly rotating because of the wind. Now i know your all going to say it was going because of a storm or tornado warning, but there was no sound, and no warnings were issued. This sirens never turned on. Also the head was rotating at a very high speed. Ive always wondered about this but never said anything cause i thought i was seeing things, but this seems strikingly similar to what i thought i experienced.

AllSafe

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:40 am

Allertors are very heavy sirens- they wouldn't do that unless the output gear in the rotator is broken.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:00 am

Wow. Thats a heart-breaker there... :( I thought they were doing weekly tests! :lol:

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:25 am

Living with an allertor in my backyard,

It is 100% possible and it happens all the time.

It seems hard to believe, but mine has turned with under 10 MPH
of wind. But, something could be wrong for all i know.

I've seen it turn fairly fast with about 15 MPH of wind.

From this, it doesnt make it seem like they are very heavy.

But it does happen all the time..

Archon

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:59 am

N/A
Last edited by Archon on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

q2bman

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:50 am

Man, i had the same thing happen to me with a penetrator on beach st in Ft Worth. Idrove by and it was faceing west. Next day faceing east. I freaked out cause i looked at the pole and the wires were cut. I stopped and took a closer look for a length of pipe for wires but nothing! Just the wind! Lots of birds nests under the siren too.

Also, while at the Hulen mall i drove by a alleter near the fire station on Hulen st and saw it swinging back and forth violently. Very weird. Thought it was running! No such luck, wires cut on it too! Wild to see it swinging back and forth like that!

You work for BNSF or just a train nut? I'm a dispatcher in the NOC at Ft Worth 8)

Hanako

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:33 pm

That must be a freaky thing to see! It would be weird to see an Allerator spinning at *fairly* high speed when there's no sound ^-^;

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”