Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Re: San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) former mystery/custom engineered siren FOUND!!!!

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:03 pm
Any update on Dana Point's new system?
I finally got in contact with the head person (Or atleast one of the head people) In Dana Point regarding this just the other day, I have been trying to contact the right person for a year now and finally found the main person. I didn't get a chance to ask him why the city wanted to replace the 2800s, especially since they weren't that old and they and the rest of the system in the other jurisdictions had major cabinet and E-969 software upgrades done in the years 2010, 2012, and then as late as 2017 from what I was told by SONGS a few years back before the Director of Emergency Planning was laid off, so basically most of the system was at 2900 spec cabinet wise, so there wasn't a need to replace them, but the city got misinformed about something from SONGS, but here's the reply I got from Dana Point:

"Good Afternoon Aaron,

Your email was forwarded to me regarding the sirens. The City does still plan to install a new system that provides both tones, and verbal commands at a later date when funding is available for such a project."

As I talk with them more, I will ask them why they replaced the 2800s which were obviously already voice capable, but just had to be enabled since when SONGS set up the system they didn't program any prerecorded voices into any of the sirens in the system throughout the jurisdictions, and only 4 sirens that were in the whole system had live PA done on them which were locations SC-05, 06, 07, and 08 in San Clemente. It wouldn't have been hard to put in prerecorded voices and even use live PA over the sirens in Dana Point, but it seems like SONGS didn't inform the city all that well with the additional capabilities the 2800s had that SONGS didn't have set up on them, and that the city probably wasn't aware of the existing sirens having and being capable of stuff they wanted to do with them, still stupid though. I really think the city will end up getting Whelen 2900s though, and that's what I will recommend to them as well.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

SirensOfNewYork

Re: San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) former mystery/custom engineered siren FOUND!!!!

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:37 am

Duderocks5539 wrote:
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
I finally got in contact with the head person In Dana Point regarding this just the other day, I have been trying to contact the right person for a year now and finally found the main person. I didn't get a chance to ask him why the city wanted to replace the 2800s, especially since they weren't that old and they and the rest of the system in the other jurdisctions had major cabinet and E-969 software upgrades done in the years 2010, 2012, and then as late as 2017 from what I was told by SONGS a few years back before the Director of Emergency Planning was laid off, so basically most of the system was at 2900 spec cabinet wise, so there wasn't a need to replace them, but the city got misinformed about something from SONGS, but here's the reply I got from Dana Point:

"Good Afternoon Aaron,

Your email was forwarded to me regarding the sirens. The City does still plan to install a new system that provides both tones, and verbal commands at a later date when funding is available for such a project."

As I talk with them more, I will ask them why they replaced the 2800s which were obviously already voice capable, but just had to be enabled since when SONGS set up the system they didn't program any prerecorded voices into any of the sirens in the system throughout the jurdisctions, and only 4 sirens that were in the whole system had live PA done on them which were locations SC-05, 06, 07, and 08 in San Clemente. It wouldn't have been hard to put in prerecorded voices and even use live PA over the sirens in Dana Point, but it seems like SONGS didn't inform the city all that well with the additional capabilities the 2800s had that SONGS didn't have set up on them. I really think the city will end up getting Whelen 2900s though.
At least they're still going through with it. It's a waste of money but at least they are getting sirens.
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 am

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:37 am
Duderocks5539 wrote:
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
I finally got in contact with the head person In Dana Point regarding this just the other day, I have been trying to contact the right person for a year now and finally found the main person. I didn't get a chance to ask him why the city wanted to replace the 2800s, especially since they weren't that old and they and the rest of the system in the other jurdisctions had major cabinet and E-969 software upgrades done in the years 2010, 2012, and then as late as 2017 from what I was told by SONGS a few years back before the Director of Emergency Planning was laid off, so basically most of the system was at 2900 spec cabinet wise, so there wasn't a need to replace them, but the city got misinformed about something from SONGS, but here's the reply I got from Dana Point:

"Good Afternoon Aaron,

As I talk with them more, I will ask them why they replaced the 2800s which were obviously already voice capable, but just had to be enabled since when SONGS set up the system they didn't program any prerecorded voices into any of the sirens in the system throughout the jurdisctions, and only 4 sirens that were in the whole system had live PA done on them which were locations SC-05, 06, 07, and 08 in San Clemente. It wouldn't have been hard to put in prerecorded voices and even use live PA over the sirens in Dana Point, but it seems like SONGS didn't inform the city all that well with the additional capabilities the 2800s had that SONGS didn't have set up on them. I really think the city will end up getting Whelen 2900s though.
At least they're still going through with it. It's a waste of money but at least they are getting sirens.
Another thing I forgot to mention which I myself was chuckling at, is the fact the guy said the plant was the one that activated the sirens, which is absolutely wrong, SONGS's system was controlled and activated by each Jurisdiction's EOC. The guy who I have been talking too obviously wasn't aware of this since he doesn't work in the EOC for Dana Point, but he is one of the head up people involves in city projects such as this one, but he obviously wasn't aware that the E-969 is in the city's EOC. Definitely a very stupid move there, but I'm sure Edison and SONGS didn't communicate all to well, just like with the other jurdisctions besides Camp Pendleton.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”