Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Re: SONGS former hand built siren FOUND!

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Bump. It’s been really quiet and dead on this thread for a while, but I have good news, I recently got another 2 Hp motor that is dual capacitor for free from a friend. The issue with the last two motors is one was defective from factory, and the other one didn’t have enough start up torque. Both were single capacitor which was the reason why they didn’t have the power and torque to get the rotor up to max rpm. But this motor I just got is dual capacitor which should have the adequate start up torque. If this doesn’t work, I have one more option. So keep an eye on this thread in the next coming weeks, because that’s when I will get it wired up and will hopefully it will get the rotor up to max speed for the first time in 37 years.

I'll post pictures soon.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

coastalsyrolover

Re: San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) former mystery/custom engineered siren FOUND!!!!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:48 am

Keeping eye on... lol. But that’s awesome! So the stock motors were single capacitors? Why could they get it up to peak then?!?
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Duderocks5539

Re: San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) former mystery/custom engineered siren FOUND!!!!

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 am

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Keeping eye on... lol. But that’s awesome! So the stock motors were single capacitors? Why could they get it up to peak then?!?
Looking at more pictures of them with the original motors, it seems that were in fact dual capacitor motors.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.

Taterworks

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 pm

For these motors, are you trying to get new motors or used ones? Ebay has a pretty decent selection of used motors, and I'd bet there are also industrial salvage shops that have large and high horsepower pre-owned motors in stock. Do a bit of research about NEMA frame codes, because that is the designation that indicates whether the motor will be a front mount or a side/bottom mount. Some motors are capable of both. Also watch out for reverse wiring - make sure the direction of rotation is correct.

I have a 1/3 HP WEG single phase TEFC motor I bought out of curiosity (probably an old HVAC blower motor, based on that HP rating), and I discovered the reason it was so inexpensive is because the front bearing is worn, leading to a rumbling noise when a pulley is installed on the shaft. So I'll need to learn how to use a bearing puller pretty soon.

coastalsyrolover

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Duderocks5539 wrote:
coastalsyrolover wrote:
Looking at more pictures of them with the original motors, it seems that were in fact dual capacitor motors.
Yea that makes more sense. Can’t wait to hear them buddy!!!

Duderocks5539

Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 am

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Duderocks5539 wrote:
coastalsyrolover wrote:
Thanks! Good to see a lot of y'all still are interested in it, as well as the progress on it. Quite a few of people lost interest in it because I "talk about it too much", and others (who aren't on the board, but on the siren enthusiasts Facebook page) are jerks to me because they are jealous of me owning a one of a kind siren. And then also I get a lot of sex jokes thrown at me about it (obviously wont say on here because we gotta keep things Disney and G rated), but lets just say some people say I'm in a relationship with it, as well as more extreme stuff. And there was this one guy who literally harassed me for at least a month about it regarding sexual stuff, and literally obsessing over me, as well as obsessing over talking crap on me. But I told him off finally because I had enough, and some others told him to knock it off, and he finally stopped. But at least I have a lot of y'all that respect me for really liking and enjoining this unique one of a kind gem with a very interesting history and backstory. More progress on the way, expect more updates.

coastalsyrolover

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Duderocks5539 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 am
coastalsyrolover wrote:
Duderocks5539 wrote:
Thanks! Good to see a lot of y'all still are interested in it, as well as the progress on it. Quite a few of people lost interest in it because I "talk about it too much", and others (who aren't on the board, but on the siren enthusiasts Facebook page) are jerks to me because they are jealous of me owning a one of a kind siren. And then also I get a lot of sex jokes thrown at me about it (obviously wont say on here because we gotta keep things Disney and G rated), but lets just say some people say I'm in a relationship with it, as well as more extreme stuff. And there was this one guy who literally harassed me for at least a month about it regarding sexual stuff, and literally obsessing over me, as well as obsessing over talking crap on me. But I told him off finally because I had enough, and some others told him to knock it off, and he finally stopped. But at least I have a lot of y'all that respect me for really liking and enjoining this unique one of a kind gem with a very interesting history and backstory. More progress on the way, expect more updates.
Since you are the OP of this topic I feel it might be appropriate to take this topic into that direction just for a second here:

I run into that too. My model 5 is a rare unit and my thunderbolt was the loudest configuration they came in according to the research I’ve done. But that’s not why people poke fun at me for it. People sometimes poke fun at me just for liking them. (More so in high school though.)

And well eventually I laughed at myself. Said I was the inspiration for the band “sleeping with sirens” and let people have their laughs. Because at the end of the day, I’m enjoying my life, hobbies included, and clearly they enjoy the laughs.

So folks reading this part of it, don’t let someone else moderate how you live your life. (I mean don’t hurt anyone or stop them from living theirs either...) but if something is “weird” and you enjoy it... get joy out of it... well it’s your life and you’re the only one living your life.

Now let’s get back on topic because I super wanna see this thing. Maybe when Cali stops doing what they’re doing (yes I’m in a bit of trouble down there) and if you ever allow it I’d honestly love to see the old thing in person!!!

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 pm

This thing might have enough OOMPH! to literally shake the ground if you run it at full speed, while it sits on the ground.

Can't wait to hear it blare at full speed!
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

Duderocks5539

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Darley Champion wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 pm
This thing might have enough OOMPH! to literally shake the ground if you run it at full speed, while it sits on the ground.

Can't wait to hear it blare at full speed!
Oh yes absolutely!!! The low pitch of it will definitely be extremely punchy and have a really deep bass.

Duderocks5539

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:36 pm

Here are pictures of the motor, the image uploader on ARS inst working, so i had to post them on Imgur.

https://imgur.com/gegdvcj
https://imgur.com/4xwjL87
https://imgur.com/byyAtGH

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”