OHIO Desperado

Re: SONGS former hand built siren FOUND!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:27 pm

FS Rotor wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:26 am
There’s a very high tolerance between the impeller and housing so it will work well. I will be making new fiberglass horns for it and wiring it up.
Yeah, I was going to say that the fiberglass horns would not be overly difficult to reproduce.
Build a buck (frame) and sheet it with leuon or similar material and lay out the fiberglass. Many videos on YouTube about creating fiberglass molds and making parts.
If you even had one horn, then copying it is very easy.

Good luck on your project and hope to see it competed on here.
I need to start posting pics of progress of my build.

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Re: San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) former mystery/custom engineered siren FOUND!!!!

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:51 am

AWESOME NEWS EVERYONE!!! Me and Edaan Friedman recently wired up the dual capacitor motor I recently got from another friend, and IT WORKS!!!!!! Now since we finally got this going finally, now we can continue with the project now by next getting a 5 Hp motor for the blower, making the expanding tube that connects from the blower to the rotor intake, and finally the horns and frame assembly. And this was also its official full speed run in 37 years. Check it out, and make sure to read the video description :D

https://youtu.be/O9RedS9gCDc
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Re: San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) former mystery/custom engineered siren FOUND!!!!

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:24 am

Holy Molly man! Even without a blower it sounds like this thing could practically shake the pole on which it would be mounted on!
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

Duderocks5539

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Here it is running with a small blower. This is the correct sound and operation as the air is being chopped by the rotor: https://youtu.be/Uopx1MOpbD4
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:05 pm

that spindown is pretty wild!
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

coastalsyrolover

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:51 pm

Wow. What can I even say apart from that? What blower did it have originally?
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Duderocks5539

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:35 am

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Bump, haven't been on ARS in a while now since I'm mostly active on the Siren Enthusiasts Facebook page, but its original blower is a Paxton model RM-97 centrifugal blower. The blower isn't made anymore, but you can always use a new model of Paxton blower if the dimensions are right allowing it to fit in between the siren's cage/frame.

Progress on it is still taking a while, but currently I will be getting a quote from a fiberglass shop that can do the horns. And another thing as well is that last March I went back to the designer's house to pick up the remaining blueprints of the siren which he couldn't find when I went to get the siren originally back in November 2017,so for blueprints wise at the time, I only had like half of them, but the new ones I got have more parts of the siren such as the cage/frame design, and most importantly, the actually blueprints of casting and machining all components of the siren itself!!! I will not be making any of it public for certain reasons, nor would I sell them off to a siren company, tbh the only siren companies I can think of that would probably buy the blueprints would be ASC/Hormann America or Lion King, but again I'm not selling them, and I even told the designer of them its a one of a kind siren that isn't going anywhere.

But that's a little off topic, but I estimate the cost of the horns will be probably be about $3000 or so probably, and probably another $3000 for the cage assembly to be fabricated and what not. And the some smaller stuff such as buying a Motor for the blower which they used 10 Hp TEFC motors to power the blower, but I will be going with a 7.5 Hp, or even a gas engine such as a Harbor Freight Predator engine only If It can fit on the blower, and If I can't get the necessary power source for a 7.5 Hp motor, that's the other option. As for mounting it, I'll probably put it on a smaller trailer or some sort so I can transport it if needed since it is a fairly large siren which its dimensions fully assembled are 75.5" in width from horn to horn, and 60" tall from the bottom of the cage assembly and blower to the top of the horns which at the openings stick above the chopper motor by about 5" or so.

As for the latest thing I've done with it is just being able to run the rotor only, and without the blower attached or the pipe that connects the blower from the intake to the blower nozzle, the only way for the siren to get the proper sound with the intake exposed and no seal or blower connected is to cover 4 out of the 8 ports because without covering 4 ports, its acting like a normal mechanical siren, which with this siren is very surprising since there is no veins in the rotor to suck in air, but its able to somehow with ambient air trapped in the stationary diffuser fins due to the extremely close tolerances between the rotor and stator which mind you the inner walls of the stator as well as the rotor surface are teflon coated so no air leaks around when the ports or closed, and also to keep out the salty air from the ocean and coastal environment from rust build up and rusting the rotor in place. But when the blower is hooked up with the pipe that connects to the intake and blower outlet, its sealed and due to the blower having great pressure as well as CFM, having it sealed allows the true sound to be heard from the siren without covering 4 of the ports on the stator when running the head only without the blower connected up and intake sealed.

But here is the latest video of the siren running for the longest duration it has had since I got a motor on it, and probably the longest it has ran since it was made in 1983 as a spare siren that never got installed, not only that but I run attack (which these sirens never ran in, only alert), its very similar to an ACA Hurricane with the instant peak in RPM in a short time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf7YC0Vc_ZI
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirensOfNewYork

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Wow, I've been waiting for this update! I can't wait until the siren is complete.
Any update on Dana Point's new system?
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

Duderocks5539

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:03 pm
Wow, I've been waiting for this update! I can't wait until the siren is complete.
Any update on Dana Point's new system?
Nothing yet. I messaged their public works department about it. I’m starting to get annoyed by their BS, because after all, they shouldn’t have touched or screwed with the 2800s. And after all, most sirens in the system in general were basically upgraded to 2900 spec around 2012 meaning they had cabinet upgrades such as 560 Hz boards put in. The cities that got rid of the sirens are idiots period, I don’t know how nearby Laguna, Newport, and Huntington Beach doesn’t click in San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente’s minds when they have sirens, but yet the 2 cities above already had sirens already installed, whereas all the other cities had to buy them out of their pockets or whatever which is much more expensive instead of just taking over sirens already installed and use them for something else.

coastalsyrolover

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:08 pm

Duderocks5539 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:35 am
coastalsyrolover wrote:
Bump, haven't been on ARS in a while now since I'm mostly active on the Siren Enthusiasts Facebook page, but its original blower is a Paxton model RM-97 centrifugal blower. The blower isn't made anymore, but you can always use a new model of Paxton blower if the dimensions are right allowing it to fit in between the siren's cage/frame.

Progress on it is still taking a while, but currently I will be getting a quote from a fiberglass shop that can do the horns. And another thing as well is that last March I went back to the designer's house to pick up the remaining blueprints of the siren which he couldn't find when I went to get the siren originally back in November 2017,so for blueprints wise at the time, I only had like half of them, but the new ones I got have more parts of the siren such as the cage/frame design, and most importantly, the actually blueprints of casting of machining all components of the siren itself!!! I will not be making any of it public for certain reasons, nor would I sell them off to a siren company, tbh the only siren companies I can think of that would probably buy the blueprints would be ASC/Hormann America or Lion King, but again I'm not selling them, and I even told the designer of them its a one of a kind siren that isn't going anywhere.

But that's a little off topic, but I estimate the cost of the horns will be probably be about $3000 or so probably, and probably another $3000 for the cage assembly to be fabricated and what not. And the some smaller stuff such as buying a Motor for the blower which they used 10 Hp TEFC motors to power the blower, but I will be going with a 7.5 Hp, or even a gas engine such as a Harbor Freight Predator engine only If It can fit on the blower, and If I cant get the necessary power source for a 7.5 Hp motor, that's the other option. As for mounting it, I'll probably out it on a smaller trailer or some sort so I can transport it if needed since it is a fairly large siren which its dimensions fully assembled are 75.5" in width from horn to horn, and 60" tall from the bottom of the cage assembly and blower to the top of the horns which at the openings stick above the chopper motor by about 5" or so.

As for the latest thing I've done with it is just being able to run the rotor only, and without the blower attached or the pipe that connects the blower from the intake to the blower nozzle, the only way for the siren to get the proper sound with the intake exposed and no seal or blower connected is to cover 4 out of the 8 ports because without covering 4 ports, its acting like a normal mechanical siren, which with this siren is very surprising since there is no vains in the rotor to suck in air, but its able to somehow due to the extremely close tolerances between the rotor and stator which mind you the inner walls of the stator are teflon coated so no air leaks around when the ports or closed, and also to keep out the salty air from the ocean and coastal environment from rust build up and rusting the rotor in place. But when the blower is hooked up with the pipe that connects to the intake and blower outlet, its sealed and due to the blower having great pressure as well as CFM, having it sealed allows the true sound to be heard from the siren without covering 4 of the ports on the stator when running the head only without the blower connected up and intake sealed.

But here is the latest video of the siren running for the longest duration it has had since I got a motor on it, and probably the longest it has ran since it was made in 1983 as a spare siren that never got installed, not that when I run attack (which these sirens never ran in, only alert only), its very similar to an ACA Hurricane with the instant peak in RPM in a short time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf7YC0Vc_ZI
Good stuff dude! Can’t wait to see and hear more!
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”