4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Custer Electric Inc.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Yesterday, Michael, August, and I were heading through Rush County, IN, and we figured we'd stop by Custer Electric to ask a few questions about their sirens. Somehow we ended up speaking to Verlin Custer himself, the man who makes every single one of their sirens. Here's what we got (there's also some information not directly related to the Custer Siren's themselves, but still notable):

First off, the sirens themselves:
We have a name, and it's what most of us have been calling them: Custer Electric Sirens. Each unit is comprised of an isolated speaker cluster, controller, solar panel, and battery at the top of a pole. Every unit is 200W except for the Knightstown double-speaker unit (which is 100W) and the newest Custer in Arlington, IN (which is 400W, and was installed about 6 or so years ago). As far as the speakers themselves go, we know that the Rushville and Knightstown units use the Atlas Soundolier Cobraflex style speakers. The controllers are simply fire truck sirens. Originally, the Rushville units were set on "wail" tone, but were switched to "hi-lo" as to not be confused with emergency vehicles. Each siren also includes a timer set to 2 minutes per-cycle as well as a Motorola radio. The sirens are DC only, as they use their battery and nothing else. Verlin says that the solar panels work very well and he can usually get 2-3 years out of the batteries before he needs to replace them. This way the sirens are completely off the grid, and there is no need to pay for a meter or even electric. It is also notable to mention that the only maintenance he has had to perform on Rushville's Custers is battery replacement. No driver replacements, no controller repairs, nothing- and this is after ~20 years of service. As far as sound ratings go, he measured the Rushville ones to be 110 @100', which seems reasonable. This was tested through having the siren on a ladder truck 100 feet away and measuring the output through a handheld meter. The main idea that he pushes is that the sirens are easy to maintenance if need-be. He uses all off the shelf, inexpensive items so that anyone could fix them.

Now for some information about specific installations:
As I said, Rushville's were installed about 20 years ago, making them 90's sirens. Knightstown's double-speaker unit was installed shortly after. Milroy was installed after that. Dunreith's was installed about 10-12 years ago, and then the one in Arlington, IN was installed about 6 years ago.

Verlin also works on other sirens, and here is some info on that:
He manages sirens for a good portion of Henry and part of Rush counties. He installed a Darley in Mays and a Model 2 in Raleigh. He also installed the P-15 in Lewisville. Something interesting about the Darley and P-15, he says that they both came from New Castle. This seems feasible, as New Castle's 2001-SRN's all have older yellow controls on them. The Darley was donated by a scrap yard after being removed from a water tower there.

Here are some photos of each different type:

Rushville 200W siren:

Knightstown 100W siren:

Dunreith 200W siren:

Milroy 200W siren:

And that's about it! It was definitely worth stopping in.
Last edited by 4J25 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Re: Custer Electric Inc.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:41 am

Went ahead and added in some photos, that way you can see the differences in each unique unit.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:49 am

That's pretty cool! I've slowly started the process of collecting Cobreflex horns because I want to do something similar. Trying to get 8.
-The Princess

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:20 am

Pretty neat indeed! Thanks for sharing!
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Alerter1

YouTube Username: Queen City Sirens
Discord: SirensOfSWOhio#7603

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 pm

I think these are cool. Atlas sound never made cobra-flex horns though. Only University sound who was bought out by EV. Those horns in Rushville are University branded.

WPS4004Man

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:04 am

Is this a Custer in Franklin County?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9466614 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

Purring Cat
YouTube Username: Purring Cat

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:48 am

I highly doubt that's a siren. It may just be speakers.

bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 am

Arlington's 400W siren:

- Brad Meiser, 32, my couch is < 400 yards from a 2001-130 and my desk at work is < 200 feet from an Eclipse 8. I'm well warned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/squiddy7863
https://www.instagram.com/nader_sirens

FahmiRBLX
YouTube Username: FahmiRBLX

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 am

Any size comparisons of every single model? I'm thinking of modelling them in ROBLOX in the near future.
A Muslim Malaysian, a siren & aviation enthusiast, and gamer.

Mini Mobil Directo Project
Sirens in Malaysia Thread

Stag
YouTube Username: Spaghetti Jay

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:20 am

A siren model focusing specifically on being easily managable by anyone is a really cool idea. I'd love to see something like this on a wider scale, to convince those stubborn counties that they won't drain their funds in maintenance fees. With weather shifts in the US being as unpredictable as they are, easily accessible and affordable siren systems are more important than ever before (well, except for during possible time periods of air raid threats)
sincerely yours, a weird siren obsessed deer 🦌

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”