proud oner of two old car sirens

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: New guy first post

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Just because it was technically US Army property doesn't mean it was green necessarily. There is a county in SC that got 8 Thunderbolts from an army depot in Forest Park, GA in 1962, and they were the same yellow as every other siren as far as colors are concerned.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Dennis Kunkle

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 pm

OK, next question. For us to display this in the museum, it would really be cool if the visitor could hold down a button and the base would revolve. A recording of an actual siren would then play. To accomplish this, we could mount a small motor on top of the gear box that would turn the gear box which would in turn, via the pulleys and belt, turn the base. To get 120VAC to that motor, we like to use the mechanism on the very bottom of the unit that supplied AC to the delay timers on the unit. We've looked at it and it may be able to be refurbished for this purpose. Is anyone familiar with this mechanism?

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:19 pm

the collector rings, right? they aren't delay timers. they supply the power through brushes. you could use these to power a small motor, but idk if it would be reliable.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Dennis Kunkle

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Not sure if you're saying that only the top part of the engine enclosure is gone, or if the entire engine enclosure is gone?)
The entire engine enclosure is gone. But for a museum display, this is not the end of the world. Only one of you guys would know it's gone ;). Apparently, the person who did engine work on it had access to another Wisconsin VE4, because the covers over the spark plugs are old but replaced. The oil pan has a new gasket, so it may have been fired up. For the enclosure around the 8 port sounder, a new bottom is skillfully welded in place.
the collector rings, right? they aren't delay timers. they supply the power through brushes. you could use these to power a small motor, but idk if it would be reliable.
You've got the name right: collector rings. Its wires went up to a pair of delay timer relays. Something related to remote starting? Anyway, next week we're going to lift and disconnect the engine from revolving pedestal. Then we can check out the collector rings and the rollers, etc. It's a rusty mess down there.

I also have a hopeful lead on an old horn!

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:37 am

If you do display it in a museum which one are you going to display it in?
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Dennis Kunkle

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:22 pm

If you do display it in a museum which one are you going to display it in?
www.yorkhistorycenter.org

jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

ok
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Rheems1

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:42 pm

This is exciting to me because this is another person on here close to me and one with a gas powered Mobil-Directo at that, if this is the siren I am thinking of it was on top of the Yorktowne Hotel in downtown York. Last I heard it was at the Agriculture and Industrial Museum, did you buy it from them? I was planning to go to the Old Farts Fire Flea Market to purchase stuff but also but because it was at the Museum so I could see this siren, guess that dashes my plans LOL. The Mobil-Directo is generally considered a rarer siren and is very rare here in Pa, the city of Philadelphia had a system of them for civil defense but they have all been long removed. The only other Mobil-Directo in the state is in Pottsville, Pa and it has a replacement upper horn.

Dennis Kunkle

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Last I heard it was at the Agriculture and Industrial Museum, did you buy it from them?
That's where it's at, although not on display. The Yorktowne Hotel donated it to us. Be sure to look me up if you come to that Flea Market; I may not be there but I live just 5 minutes away.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”