Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: New guy first post /UPDATE

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm

FahmiRBLX wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:39 am
The recording of an 8-Port Mobil Directo is exist, but IIRC the only one is the one at Milwaukee, WI, a gas-powered variant which turned electric.
That isn't the only one. There too is one in Memphis, TN that met the same fate (gas engine swapped for an electric motor). There was another video by Trevor Birchett but I cannot seem to find it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvj29ZngyOw
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:21 pm

this siren is being used for a museum display. he wants a recording, but not the siren sounding in real life.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

FahmiRBLX
YouTube Username: FahmiRBLX

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:28 pm

Model L wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:21 pm
this siren is being used for a museum display. he wants a recording, but not the siren sounding in real life.
Yeah, I know that, but just like I mentioned before, it makes more sense of the real sounding with lower sound output (By putting layers of fabric) instead of a 'mocking sounding'. Probably making it a full demonstration, either free or paid entry, paid ear protection (But how many dBs 5-10pcs of fabric absorbs from the Mobil Directo?). Near my cousin's house (In the same neighborhood) is a mini museum, which have some fully functional replicas (Or actual but refurbished?) of the equipments used some time for paddy agriculture before replaced by legit machines. And yes, it really works, other than just a display.
A Muslim Malaysian, a siren & aviation enthusiast, and gamer.

Mini Mobil Directo Project
Sirens in Malaysia Thread

Dennis Kunkle

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Just to re-explain, we sat an electric motor on top of the gear box. The motor turns the gearbox which in turn rotates the entire siren. So when a visitor pushes the button on a sound box in front of the siren, the visitor hears an actual recording of a Mobil Directo siren starting up, running and then slowing down to a stop. The volume is, of course, is at a reasonable level. So that spring loaded push button activates the recording and the spinning of the siren. It is not yet on display because we are painting the new pieces to match the rest of the siren. As soon as it's ready, I'll make a video. Believe me, it is cool. When the exhibit display is complete, there will be an explanation of what we did for the visitor. They will get the visual and audible experience without firing up a four cylinder gas engine. We're still looking for the shroud around the engine, if anybody knows where one is, it would greatly be appreciated!

LukeH

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:58 am

Could you get us a video of a full run of the actual siren though? That is what we are asking. There isn't a single video of one of these in action in existence.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:12 pm

I'd really like to see a BN-44G (IIRC it's how these "gasoline/petrol-fired Mobil Directo" were known as) in action, too, I know there's also someone who begun restoring another one which however was saved from a demolition. Not to mention that just like yours it lacked the top projector and was terribly damaged, however I think the owner of the other gas-Directo fell into silence and let pretty much his thread die whether of lack of time / interest or funds/means to restore it.

So that makes 2 privately owned BN-44G with maybe the last one in the wild being in Culver City (it's also missing the upper horn, but the engine seems to be complete) and remains of another one in Atlanta that Brendan W and someone else who I forgot their username found.

I'm not counting the one in Memphis, Tennessee that was stripped of it's petrol engine only to have a electric motor fitted.

I also recall seing another one, that was complete and all but I forgot where it was located (my memory is a little fuzzy on this matter) , and if it's still standing (left to rot) or if it has been taken down already...
Last edited by Darley Champion on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:05 pm

I see that I was mentioned. You are correct Alexis about this being the second one in private hands of the 5 ones left that still retain their gas engine. The one in Atlanta is most definitely a directo beyond the shadow of a doubt, nothing "possibly" about it. The location is listed in a 1953 location list (Atlanta Stockade) and upon visiting it a few times I have been able to see parts of it from the ground and even see some parts of the control boxes, as well as it turning up on google satellite imagery. That one has been dead since at least 1969, although I do not know when it was taken apart and shoved off into the corner like it currently is. I would guess this happened in the 80s as that seems to be when the directos disappeared around here (latest removal of one I know of occurred in 1982.), the rest of the system to follow suit some years later. The complete one you mention, are you possibly thinking of the one in San Bernardino, CA at Baseline and G Strees? If so then that one is still there as far as I know. About your engine cover, in my opinion you're honestly better off getting one made. With how much of a hens teeth these sirens are, I doubt very seriously that any parts for them will be laying around.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:30 am

Uh-uh that would be this one I knew it was in CA but had forgot exactly where.

Even better, I found the thread speaking about the first privately owned Gas-Directo (with pictures of the 25HP Wisconsin V4 engine, @OP this should give you an idea on how the engine's shroud looked).
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

Dennis Kunkle

Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:41 am

Here's a video of the museum exhibit in progress, with the electrical controls work done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ROp1r ... e=youtu.be

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Re: New guy first post /UPDATE/VIDEO

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:17 am

Now that's incredible! Keep up the good work!
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”