EOWS1212man
YouTube Username: BFDfire288

Abandoned Thunderbolt 1003, Alexandria Bay NY

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:15 am

I recently discovered this old 1003 while on a vacation in the town of Alexandria Bay, NY, near the Canadian border on the St. Lawrence River. It is no longer active, the rotator has remained in this same position for several years. It's unknown whether it was a fire siren or a civil defense siren, although the building it is on top on looks like it may have been a fire station a long time ago. The village fire department down the street has a Darley 5 for fire calls. Anyway, enjoy these pictures from Street View.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (162.41 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (122.52 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
Proud owner of a Model A, Model 2, Model 2T and Model 5

pyramid head

Re: Abandoned Thunderbolt 1003, Alexandria Bay NY

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Yeah I saw it when I went down to their bike rally a few years back. I can't imagine it has been used for quite some time because it was facing the same direction back then.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

EarAche
New User

Sun May 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Well I guess there is a group for everything... Much to my pleasure.
I want to solve this mystery.

I stayed at the
Riveredge resort
17 Holland St, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607, USA
On the night of Saturday May 11 2019.

The Sunday morning at 5:30am we were woken up to a siren that sounded like what I can only describe as some kind of Air Raid or disaster siren.
(My wife is from a Small town in New Brunswick called Perth Andover. That town floods and they have a flood alarm that she says sounds just like the one we heard.)
It was loud as hell.

I called the front desk and the young man sounded sort of caught off guard. He was stammering a bit, but he said it was quite normal and it happens every time there is a fire or somebody needs an ambulance.
I should probably just take his word for it, but that struck me as odd...

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sun May 12, 2019 11:41 pm

EarAche wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:26 pm
Well I guess there is a group for everything... Much to my pleasure.
I want to solve this mystery.

I stayed at the
Riveredge resort
17 Holland St, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607, USA
On the night of Saturday May 11 2019.

The Sunday morning at 5:30am we were woken up to a siren that sounded like what I can only describe as some kind of Air Raid or disaster siren.
(My wife is from a Small town in New Brunswick called Perth Andover. That town floods and they have a flood alarm that she says sounds just like the one we heard.)
It was loud as hell.

I called the front desk and the young man sounded sort of caught off guard. He was stammering a bit, but he said it was quite normal and it happens every time there is a fire or somebody needs an ambulance.
I should probably just take his word for it, but that struck me as odd...
Lots of volunteer fire departments in rural areas use sirens to alert personnel to respond to the station from their homes.
It's a practice largely discontinued (at least where I live at anyways) due to the fact that most volunteer fire departments now use pagers instead, but some still use sirens. And then of course the large majority of sirens you'll usually see in places other than at fire stations are usually used for severe weather (tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, chemical spills, whatever the need may be).

Since the siren here is no longer active, you were probably hearing the other siren down the road from this one that also goes off for fire calls.
Hope this helps.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Two questions:

Do you happen to know when this one was first installed?

What kind of siren is down the road from this one? (The one that EarAche referred to)
YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 am

Greenfield1003 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 pm
What kind of siren is down the road from this one? (The one that EarAche referred to)
It's answered in the post at the top of the thread (with the specific part you'll be looking for bolded by me to make it easier to find):
EOWS1212man wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:15 am
I recently discovered this old 1003 while on a vacation in the town of Alexandria Bay, NY, near the Canadian border on the St. Lawrence River. It is no longer active, the rotator has remained in this same position for several years. It's unknown whether it was a fire siren or a civil defense siren, although the building it is on top on looks like it may have been a fire station a long time ago. The village fire department down the street has a Darley 5 for fire calls. Anyway, enjoy these pictures from Street View.
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”