red

MS-490 Advice

Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:38 pm

Hello! I would like advice on the MS-490 siren, as I might be buying one.
Is it worth getting? Or should I get an MS 590 instead? Thanks!
Hey, I’m red.

supermaximax
YouTube Username: supermaximax
Discord: supermaximax

Re: MS-490 Advice

Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:19 pm

Greetings,
I would advise you buy an MS-590 rather than a 490 because I've seen a large increase of MS-490s kicking the bucket as opposed to MS-590 since the past few years. However, many 120 volt MS-590s (or the cheaper ones) are sold out on most websites, unless you get lucky. So you would need to buy a 220 volt one with a power transformer (unless you live in a country where 220 volts is your standard power source). In addition, MS-590s might be louder than 490s.

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:16 am

Hey Red!

Here’s my piece of advice: don’t buy any MS siren. Those things are cheaply made, don’t last too long if mounted outdoors, and really don’t have any value aside from being a “toy” in the hobby (though sirens should not be classified as toys…that’s a dangerous game to play).

In my opinion, save up for a larger well-built siren, otherwise small industrial/apparatus sirens would be your best bet. Anything like a Federal Model A or the like would be best, and would provide a great restoration project along side too!

I’m not the best when it comes to the MS series of siren, but if this doesn’t dissuade you, buy one if you’d enjoy it!
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

SICentral

YouTube Username: airin'
Discord: mtchbox#1628

Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:34 pm

Bump. In my honest opinion, if a 490 is what you want, go for it. But know what you're looking for.

Buy these.

Not these.

The units with the grille on them are built by Shuntong (SNTOOM) who makes poor quality imitations of the original sirens and pumps them out to other companies who resell them for significantly lower prices compared to genuine units. They aren't durable and use motor components that probably shouldn't be used in motors.

SNTOOM also makes 590, 690, and 790 clones. They can be distinguished from their original counterparts by the number of screws they have on the front of the stator (Genuine 5 and 690s have 3, SNTOOMs have 4. Genuine 790s have 4, SNTOOMs have 5.)

Genuine 490s (and any other genuine MS for that matter) work fine and last a good long while.
aaron price (not) copyright 2009
no rights reserved

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”