Bdesantis5632

YouTube Username: RailYardWarrior

How does this work? -Thunderbolt chopper levels

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Today I’m working hard on overhauling my new thunderbolt. New paint, new motor, and new electricals. I have a box (can’t remember what it’s called) that allows the chopper speeds to vary. I have a pic of it. I want it to run at chopper level 1. I know where the wires go in but i don’t know where they go out of. Could someone let me know please?

Here’s a few pics
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tc_Ev ... IoKFuaFZZQ

Also, the thunderbolt chopper will not budge when power is applied to it. It worked fine with wires going directly to it, but now it won’t budge with power applied to the rings it sits on. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
Proud owner of the Sheldon Park EOWS 612 and two Thunderbolts

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd0_8j ... subscriber

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Re: How does this work? -Thunderbolt chopper levels

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:00 pm

For one thing, your RCM was modified to allow 2-way communication for an FC controller. Those blue boxes in the bottom of your controller are current relays. Basically when they detect a certain amount of current, they engage. The FC takes that and can tell if the siren functioned properly or not and send it back to the Commander. You'll also notice that the Agastat delay relay was bypassed in favor of the FC's on board delay controller for the blower and rotator in attack mode. If you got an AR timer with this, you might be better off looking at a Thunderbolt manual and rewiring the entire thing.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Bdesantis5632

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Tyler wrote:
For one thing, your RCM was modified to allow 2-way communication for an FC controller. Those blue boxes in the bottom of your controller are current relays. Basically when they detect a certain amount of current, they engage. The FC takes that and can tell if the siren functioned properly or not and send it back to the Commander. You'll also notice that the Agastat delay relay was bypassed in favor of the FC's on board delay controller for the blower and rotator in attack mode. If you got an AR timer with this, you might be better off looking at a Thunderbolt manual and rewiring the entire thing.
Thanks. If it’s that complicated I’ll not use it. I already had it modified to plug into the wall so it will stay that way

Tyler
Developer
Developer

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Bdesantis5632 wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Thanks. If it’s that complicated I’ll not use it. I already had it modified to plug into the wall so it will stay that way
The controller will still function just fine, but if you wire the rotator and blower up, they will disengage with the chopper if you run attack mode. If you want to just use the controller only, you're going to have to find a RCM switch panel, because yours was removed when it was modded. If you wire the Agastat back up and hook up an AR timer, it will function just like a normal RCM.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
1984 SiraTone C/B

Bdesantis5632

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:34 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:04 pm
Bdesantis5632 wrote:
Tyler wrote:
The controller will still function just fine, but if you wire the rotator and blower up, they will disengage with the chopper if you run attack mode. If you want to just use the controller only, you're going to have to find a RCM switch panel, because yours was removed when it was modded. If you wire the Agastat back up and hook up an AR timer, it will function just like a normal RCM.
Thanks again. I only have the siren head, i don’t plan on getting a blower for the time being. I have the AR already hooked up to the head directly via modded 110v plug. If I show more pics here, maybe it will be easier to explain how it is set up-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EcJHh ... TO-lH2kFP7

Just trying to keep the setup as simple as possible. How do I wore the Agastat?

Tyler
Developer
Developer

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:21 am

Bdesantis5632 wrote:
How do I wire the Agastat?
It would probably be easier for you to look at the RCM1B schematic in the manual and figure it out. It will also help clear up any confusion you have about it. You'll find it on page 41 in the PDF file. *Note that because your unit lacks test switches, you can completely ignore the "Automatic Test Switches."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O24wow ... sp=sharing

Proud owner of
1984 SiraTone C/B

Bdesantis5632

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:35 am

Tyler wrote:
Bdesantis5632 wrote:
It would probably be easier for you to look at the RCM1B schematic in the manual and figure it out. It will also help clear up any confusion you have about it. You'll find it on page 41 in the PDF file. *Note that because your unit lacks test switches, you can completely ignore the "Automatic Test Switches."

Thanks. I’m not an electrical engineer but I’ll see if I can get my head around till that complex circuitry. Now that I looked at your advice deeper, I just realized your watermark. Since The only sirens I have are thunderbolts and an EOWS siratone, you’re my go-to guy lol. I’ll see if I can get it to work with this manual, thanks again!

Tyler
Developer
Developer

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 am

Bdesantis5632 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:35 am
Tyler wrote:
Bdesantis5632 wrote:

Thanks. I’m not an electrical engineer but I’ll see if I can get my head around till that complex circuitry. Now that I looked at your advice deeper, I just realized your watermark. Since The only sirens I have are thunderbolts and an EOWS siratone, you’re my go-to guy lol. I’ll see if I can get it to work with this manual, thanks again!
For you, most of the stuff that you will be doing is plug and play. I have faith that you can figure it out. ;)

Proud owner of
1984 SiraTone C/B

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”