Tally Ho

When does Peach Bottom Power Plant Test and How far can a T-128 be Heard?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm

So last week, I went to Pennsylvania and I was around the Peach Bottom Nuclear Power Plant which owns over 97 T-128 emergency sirens. I saw over 6 or 7 and I came back the next week, and the sirens were rotated the opposite direction... So obviously they've been tested or used for an emergency. Can someone tell me when they test and how far can a T-128 be heard because the closest one to me is 12.2 miles away. I doubt i'd be able to hear that. Maybe just maybe the faintest sound on the perfect day. But yes my main question is when do the Peach Bottom Nuclear Power Plant emergency sirens test? Thanks.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Re: When does Peach Bottom Power Plant Test and How far can a T-128 be Heard?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Generally the range of sirens like the 128 are a little over a mile. Peach Bottom tests on the first Wednesday of June and December at 1PM.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Tally Ho

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:32 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:18 pm
Generally the range of sirens like the 128 are a little over a mile. Peach Bottom tests on the first Wednesday of June and December at 1PM.
Just a mile? Wow that's strange because I've heard an STH-10 from over 4.6 miles away. It was very quiet and faint. There has to be no wind at all for me to hear it. It's from the Aberdeen Fire Department. Huh so if Peach Bottom tests on June and December, then they probably activated the sirens for an emergency last week then. Strange.

coastalsyrolover

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 am

The mile is the “effective range.” You want to know the “actual ear range.” A T128 due to its low tone could probably be heard from around 12 miles depending on atmospheric conditions. Thunderbolts on a sweet spot have been said to have been heard from really far... but it also depends on its rotation speed (if it even rotates), and it’s settings. The STL-10 I’ve heard people say they can hear them from 12 miles. Whelens around the same and non rotating single tone bolts a little further even.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”