coastalsyrolover

Hooking up a Thunderbolt to power?

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:51 am

Hey guys. So As you all know I've been asking about generators and all that. But I think a better question is this: Folks with thunderbolts how do you hook yours up? Would a dryer outlet work? My disconnect had the 3 wires cut from the top... Do I re wire that and connect it to a dryer cord? My thunderbolt is a 220 3ph. I just don't want to break my thunderbolt is all and I am no electrician. I don't know a lot about it. Also yes I am aware it's a lot of electricity (Again why I am asking) and the bolt will break nearby windows... No I do not plan on doing this in the city... But yea any insight would be great. Thanks.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Wdr

Re: Hooking up a Thunderbolt to power?

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:23 am

With what you are asking you really probably need to get someone who knows what they are doing with electricity to assist you. This is a bit more involved than just plugging into an outlet with more to go wrong. A dryer outlet is not going to be enough. The only outlet in a residential setting that could work would be a stove outlet and that would still be cutting it close. You will not have three phase at a house and cannot easily produce it. You need a converter or a single phase replacement blower motor. Neither of hose are cheap.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 pm

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:51 am
Hey guys. So As you all know I've been asking about generators and all that. But I think a better question is this: Folks with thunderbolts how do you hook yours up? Would a dryer outlet work? My disconnect had the 3 wires cut from the top... Do I re wire that and connect it to a dryer cord? My thunderbolt is a 220 3ph. I just don't want to break my thunderbolt is all and I am no electrician. I don't know a lot about it. Also yes I am aware it's a lot of electricity (Again why I am asking) and the bolt will break nearby windows... No I do not plan on doing this in the city... But yea any insight would be great. Thanks.
You need to replace the rotator motor with a single phase 1/3HP motor. The chopper is single phase and will run on many different things. A 220V outlet should be enough to run the chopper and rotator, but you’ll need to make sure you have the correct breakers in the breaker panel for it or else you’ll trip it every time you try to run it.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

coastalsyrolover

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:08 pm

It’s the blower I’m worried about. The rotator won’t be on even if I activate the siren through the RCM... lol. Maybe a single ph motor for it?
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Allertorguy02
YouTube Username: ThatRandomGuy02

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 pm

This should help with blower power and motor requirements.
Attachments
2018-09-19.png
2018-09-19.png (134.04 KiB) Viewed 2700 times

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”