dilloncarpenter

Re: any info on this would help

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Jared H wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:21 am
That motor could very well be original. In fact, 1979 sounds about right for capicator start/run. Keep in mind, the M-10 was discontinued sometime after 1984, as shown here:
Okay THAT is something I did not know. It could very well be possible that it's original.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:02 pm

This is a late M. It has the newer stators and housing fittings. That motor is more than likely original to the unit.
-The Princess

Unit of Civil Defense

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Going off of my own experiences dealing with my antique Ford and aged metal appearance and your siren...

The Red parts look to be in good shape for something that has been exposed to the elements..... going off of what I see with the siren portion itself and not taking into account anything we now know about the electric motor, I would place its going in to service time somewhere from the late 70's to early 80's.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

FEAL

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:23 am

i was told by the fire chief that it came from Yankee Energy (nuclear power plant) in VT, and was donated to Alstead NH fire dept in the early nineties when they upgraded their warning systems. I did see pictures of the "doghouse" it resided in on the top of their fire station, before it was removed to replace the roof. It was out of the elements for the last 30 years in that little building on the roof. With little tinkering, the sheet metal should straighten out nice. I did find an old Masslive article showing the power plant did donate 6 sirens to local fire departments,... so the stories seem to have some truth to them. Does anyone have a pic a recommended control box I need to run it? Thanks Again!- Phil

Wdr

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 pm

You do not really need a siren specific control box. You will need a motor starter, I think a NEMA size 3 (careful when you look as the single phase horse power will be rated lower and what you need to go by) with appropriate overloads to protect the motor as ones that large are not usually internally protected. The motor starter can be controlled by any equipment you’d like, they’re available with 12, 24, 120, 240 etc as control voltages. Pretty pricey new so I’d look for used.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”