Captain Dynamite
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Scored A Sentry SS3/Defender

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Awesome Sentry Defender! Just wondering would you please take a photo of the front of the rotor so that the rotor design can be seen?

Kasey
YouTube Username: Kasey
Discord: Kasey#9793

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Awesome! That's a real treat to have one of those!
I have a thing for objects that light up or make noise.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Captain Dynamite wrote:
Awesome Sentry Defender! Just wondering would you please take a photo of the front of the rotor so that the rotor design can be seen?
Sure...
IMG_7096.JPG
IMG_7096.JPG (53.58 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
-The Princess

Captain Dynamite
Premium Member
Premium Member

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:34 am

Thankyou Sir! Until now the rotor design has being a mystery to me on these. I see it has 4 centre blades coming out of the centre of the rotor. It almost reminds me of a 10/12 port Federal Signal rotor in a Mobil Directo, Allertor since they also have 4 large blades in the centre.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:05 am

Captain Dynamite wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:34 am
Thankyou Sir! Until now the rotor design has being a mystery to me on these. I see it has 4 centre blades coming out of the centre of the rotor. It almost reminds me of a 10/12 port Federal Signal rotor in a Mobil Directo, Allertor since they also have 4 large blades in the centre.
I am still working on a walk-around video that kind of explains what I know about how these work. That rotor isn't anything special, it's found on the 5V, 10V/2T, 15V/2T, 20V/2T and possibly 7V8 as well. They've used it since the last generation of the M-10.
-The Princess

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:59 pm

A couple of things I noticed was the battery box and the rotator. The battery box is the same one that was used on the old 15V2T-B's that are in Lawton. Apparently those also run at 48VDC. Interesting thing about those is that the heads are physically different compared to the later model 15V2T-B's. The later model 15V2T-B's and 16V's (basically the same sirens with different names) are kind of tall since they have two motors. This is also seen with the single phase 10V2T, 15V2T, and 20V2T. The ones in that system are actually shorter like the 3 phase ones, and from the couple of videos of them online the rotors don't wind down at different speeds. It appears that they used 48VDC dual shaft motors. I don't know much about motors, but those seem like a special deal. I'm pretty sure you'd have to custom order that, and it would probably be pretty expensive. That might explain why they switched to using dual motors for the 16V instead of a custom 16 HP DC motor. It's nice to see how these started.

The rotator is interesting. I'm not too sure on the breakdown on the timeline of Sentry sirens, but it appears that there were three versions, this being the first, later models that look identical to this one but with 72VDC motors, and a third with a box style cover for the chopper motor instead of the dome one the older sirens had. It appears that this design was what was used midway through the series's lifespan. The mechanism is built a little differently. The planetary gear reducer is bolted onto the front of the motor, and the output shaft's bevel gear goes into an enclosure where connects directly to the platform that holds the motor. With these early ones the bevel gear connects directly to the motor with the other end going into what looks like a reducer of sorts. The motor itself is skinnier and smaller overall. I'm not too sure on how healthy it is for the gear to have it exposed like that without any lube. I think that the reason the one in Argos, IN shakes so violently the way it does is because that gear is jacked up.

Here's a look at the one Ed Wise restored before he sold it. This one is newer with the box style chopper motor cover. With the exception of the apparently two Defenders in the Coos Bay, one of which Sentry themselves restored, all of the ones found in the wild so far have had the dome shaped cover.

Here are his pictures of the rotator mechanism.

These next two are of the internal bevel gears.

This is the inside of the planetary gear reducer.

Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Dennis, all good info. I didn't realize that Lawton had -B Sentries! Thanks for finding those drive gear pics and posting them. I remember them from a few years ago. I think that you may be right about costs of making a dual shaft motor and them switching. They may have also changed motor providers. Mine are made by WEMOCO. The info plate on the rotator motor you provided doesn't look like the style mine have on them.

It would seem that I do probably have the very first unit. We definitely know it is the first generation.
-The Princess

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:51 pm

the planetary looks great inside!
the planetaries we use on our robot keep eating themselves lol
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Travis wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:35 pm
Captain Dynamite wrote:
Sure...

Hello it's directional too. Never knew!
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:15 pm
Hello it's directional too. Never knew!
If I'm not mistaken all of the sirens produced by Sterling and Sentry are directional. The 3V8 and its derivatives and the 40V have directional rotors as well.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”