oliveoil22

YouTube Username: oliveoil22
Discord: oliveoil2222#2222

Why would you make this housing for this Model 7 / 5 and put it in the wrong place?

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:02 pm

So i was taking pictures of other sirens yesterday in Lower Lake, CA (Model 2, Hedberg, etc.) and i saw this strange looking tower in the distance from a parking lot. I moved out of the way of some obscuring trees and saw this:

They put the custom housing in what i think the wrong place! The housing is on the intake of the siren! Unless the person who was making the custom housing made a new discovery with siren sound that we have never heard before or, this guy had no idea what he was doing. Do you know why this decision was made?

Also, this Model 7 survived one of the California fires:

This is what it looked like in 2016:

This is what it looks like now:

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Re: Why would you make this housing for this Model 7 / 5 and put it in the wrong place?

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Either the person who made that was thinking the sound comes out where the intake is or wants optimal airflow into the siren.
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Re: Why would you make this housing for this Model 7 / 5 and put it in the wrong place?

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:33 pm

I recall seeing a Sterling M-10 that had projectors on the intakes turned upwards... BECAUSE they thought it would help make the siren quieter from what I've heard but...
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:04 am

From what I can tell, it's not even connected to the 7's intake at all. It's basically just an esthetic piece lol.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Given the massive gap between the intake cone and the shroud the only good thing it's doing is keeping the rain from directly going into the chopper through the intake.

It does look like a properly engineered piece of metalwork though and judging by the rust it's been there for a while.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Allenorgan42099

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:10 am

Clearly, whoever built this "housing" is not knowledgeable about sirens. However, one may logically assume that the top is where the sound comes out since it would likely travel further.

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 am

Well it technically is true, as the part that throws the most sound on a dual head horizontal siren is the intake of the intake, however I don't think that would apply here. Realistically it's still doing the same job that a Model 7 housing would do, bar directing the sound towards the ground.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Captain Dynamite
Premium Member
Premium Member

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:59 am

Definetley an oddball this siren. Whoever made this custom housing for it long ago must've got inspiration from the Thunderbolt projector design since each projector reminds me of a Thunderbolt Horn.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”