Stag
YouTube Username: Spaghetti Jay

Allertor in Jasper County/Joplin MO area?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Hello!
This morning at around noon I woke up to a persistent droning sound, at first I thought it was the sound of a car's motor stalling. But then I noticed it wasn't stopping, after about 5 minutes of sounding.
It was very distant and hard to hear, but the more I listened, the more it sounded a lot like an ACA Allertor. It sounded like it was rotating, and at a very far distance since it could only be heard while I assume it was facing my direction.
Our sirens here test on the second Wednesday of the month, which is tomorrow! So it's odd to hear one sounding today. I feel like nearby municipalities are likely to test at different times though.
I've also been all over the city siren spotting and have only ever seen/heard 2001s, since our system was updated around 2011 or 2012 to contain only 2001s.

It's cool that it sounded like an Allertor because I'm aware that one used to be located on top of our Memorial Hall for many years before being replaced by a 2001. We also used to have several Thunderbolts that were relocated to the surrounding cities of Baxter Springs and Granby. I see no reason why the Allertor can't have also been relocated, though it's not noted on any MO siren maps I've seen.

Does anyone know anything about a possible relocation or what I may have heard? I would love to get photos of it or hear it tested sometime if the Allertor is truly still located nearby. Any photos I've seen or Google Images that show the Allertor back when it had been mounted on City Hall seemed to be in good condition, so I don't believe it was scrapped. EDIT: scratch that last part, all images are just too blurry to tell what the condition is on either device

Edit: According to this article (https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_ ... a7ba1.html) the Allertor was replaced in 2009! I'm not sure what the other old siren that was replaced was, very interesting, I might go look it up. I'm assuming all sirens were replaced with 2001s at this time.

Edit2: After some sleuthing in google maps, I have verified that at one point there were 2 Allertors in the city of Joplin, both of which were replaced by 2001s in the year 2009. One was located on top of Memorial Hall and appeared to be white, and the second was located at the intersection of W 35th and Hearnes Blvd. This one was yellow! With this in mind, and given the fact that Joplin did reinstall some of their older models in nearby cities, I think it's pretty likely at least one of them is still in use!
This seems a little pointless in retrospect since in an older thread I made, I'd been told already about the Allertors. But this is exciting to me, that I was able to find the former locations of both, and I do strongly believe I heard a 5 minute test in alert this morning. Will update this thread if I happen to find the current location of either of these sirens!

On the roof of the building on the right you can see the faint shape of a white or light blue Allertor siren, this would be the Memorial Hall siren
EDIT: I feel dumb and accidentally grabbed a shot from 2016 of the back of the 2001 LOL. Here is the location of the siren on google maps, view it prior to 2009 and you can see the blurry Allertor! Distinguised by the visibility of 2 openings on the front rather than 1. I'm sorry I'm fairly new to this whole google maps siren sleuthing thing.
https://goo.gl/maps/7uPuMX9URbr

These are all Google Maps images of the 35th and Hearnes Allertor from 2007 and 2009. One is even an image of its removal! Currently the double pole mount is no longer there and there is no trace of the siren in this location. A replacement 2001 was installed a block away.
Last edited by Stag on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
sincerely yours, a weird siren obsessed deer 🦌

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Re: Allertor in Jasper County/Joplin MO area?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Are you sure you didn't just hear a leaf-blower?
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Stag

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:49 pm

I want to say I think whatever I heard was too mechanical/controlled of a ebbing and waning to have been a leaf blower, but that is something I considered at first too!

I believe it was rotating, sounded like it took about 20 seconds to do a full rotation and was best audible for half of that. Very impressive sound even at such a distance.

Captain Dynamite
Premium Member
Premium Member

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Maybe it could have being one of the original Allertors that was originally being tested somewhere recentley in Joplin after being removed 9 years ago.

I looked at the news story from back then & the two Allertors were originally installed in 1970.
Makes me wonder if these early Allertors were 12/8 port or 10/12 port.

Also would you please post the links to where the Allertors used to be on Google maps? I would like to have a look at the old street views of these sirens myself.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Joplin replaced their entire system with 2001-130’s after the tornado, so it wouldn’t have been a part of the system after that upgrade. Those Allertors weren’t the usual 9/12 port either, I can’t remember if they were 8/12 or 10/12 but I do know that it was one of the two. Either way, most of those surrounding communities have replaced their siren systems too so the odds of it being an old Allertor are slim to none. Probably a leaf blower.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Stag

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:06 am

I think at this point it could have been wishful thinking on my part, I get real giddy at the idea of seeing old sirens haha. I know some of the old sirens were donated to nearby communities instead of scrapped, but all things considered, if they had simply been moved I figure someone would have found them by now/they could very well have been replaced by now too. Sorry if that is the case! (Also sorry about my delay in responding to this thread, real life gets busy for me sometimes)

Here are links to their locations on google maps! It's a shame there isn't better images of either of them but feel free to look around;
https://goo.gl/maps/mwk8CfBw3CH2
It's a bit tricky to see exactly where it is but here you can see it during removal in 2009, it's on a dual wooden pole mount hidden somewhat in the trees. If you play around with any images from before 2009 you can see it slightly even though the images are all very sadly low quality

https://goo.gl/maps/7uPuMX9URbr
Here is the memorial hall roof mounted Allertor's former location, as you can see there is a 2001 there now to make things easier to spot. there's a handful of very small shots that are enough to confirm it is an Allertor. Unfortunately the shots that would have been the clearest (from the immediate back of the building across the parking lot) don't go back far enough in time.
Dug around in my facebook to find this shot I took of a close up on the yellow control box for the 2001 on Memorial Hall, seems to be the old box retrofitted with 2001 controls! One of these days I'll have to head over to Memorial Hall and see if anyone knows anything about what happened to the old sirens, but I probably shouldn't get my hopes up

Captain Dynamite
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:20 am

Thankyou for the street view links! Yeah it would've being nice if the old street views were a higher resolution. Would be nice if both Allertors turned up somewhere sitting on the ground in the least expected place waiting to be discovered. If they were found it would be great to know which of the port combinations those early sirens have.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:02 am

That siratrol controlled the old Allertor that was on the roof of memorial hall, the 2001 controls are up on the roof next to the 2001. Guess they just never removed them.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”