4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

1992-1993 "ACA Identity Crisis"

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm

I'm sure you all know the transfer of power that occurred in 1992 between Biersach and Niedermeyer and Hörmann America. There are, however, a few details that are often brushed over, mostly concerning what happened to the sirens.

In the early 1990's, ACA made a huge sale to a middle eastern country (I've heard both Iran and Iraq), with a large number of sirens going overseas. Whoever it was, they neglected to pay for these sirens. This thrust ACA into bankruptcy. In 1992, it appears as if feeble attempts to push ACAs current line were made. New flyers showing the sirens under new names were released: the P-15 became the PN-15, the P-50 the PN-50, and the Banshee and Cyclone were absorbed into the Screamer line, becoming the SC-15 and SC-50 respectively, among other things. It was at this time that the Alertronic Quadren was also introduced, which when looking at the flyer you may find some very interesting features that you may not have known about. The company didn't last too much longer after this, and later that year Hörmann America stepped in and overtook ACA, transforming it into American Signal Corporation. For a short time, it appears that Hörmann America either A. decided to keep the new names or B. didn't have the time or desire to recreate a bunch of flyers, so we ended up with a bunch of similarly designed pamphlets with the same siren names, and the only changes were to the logo and any mention of ACA, which of course all became ASC branded. Finally, in 1995, Hörmann America decided to change the siren names once again. This is where we got the OMs, RMs, the RE, and so on. Not to mention, this also appears to be where they decided to introduce their ECN series on paper. And the rest is history: Dale Moeller broke off in 1997 to form Excel Alerting Communicators, with Jim Biersach designing the T-128. Eventually Hörmann America drove American Signal into the ground, so Dale bought it back. The remainder of the Tempest line was introduced, and many of the Hörmann America-era sirens saw their discontinuation in favor of this.

Anyways, I'm sure you all want to see the graphics. Here they are!

1992 ACA

First off, the continuation of the P-15:
ImageImage

And the P-50:
ImageImage

Now the PN-20. This actually retained the same name through the transfer, and it's likely that the rest of the Penetrator series took on after it:
ImageImage

And the Screamer:
ImageImage

And the Screamer?
ImageImage

And the Screamer?!
ImageImage

And of course we can't forget the electronics:

First off the "AR-1600." I find it interesting that this is depicted with a screen. It is also my belief that the 6000R would have been discontinued this same year:
ImageImage

Then we have the AL-1000 and AL-2000. I haven't found any flyers on any of the other omni Alertronics, but they were produced at this time as far as I'm aware:
ImageImage

And my personal favorite of the bunch, the Alertronic Quadren. Such wacky combinations and mounting options! It would have been brand new in '92.
ImageImage

1992 ASC

I was only able to find three '92 ASC flyers, consisting of the Penetrator line:

PN-15:
ImageImage

PN-20:
ImageImage

PN-50:
ImageImage

1995 ASC
At this point, Hörmann America has renamed each siren line.

First off, the RM-130, which as I'm sure you all know is a continuation of the PN-20:
ImageImage

And then the RM-135, a continuation of the PN-50:
ImageImage

The OM-117:
ImageImage

The OM-120, which is a continuation of the Performance Plus Omni:
ImageImage

The Screamers:
ImageImage

The AR-1600 became the RE-1600:
ImageImage

And the ECN line:
ImageImage

And here's a CompuLert flyer:
ImageImage

And that's everything! It is my understanding that once Dale bought back ASC, any of the sirens that were continued over from Hörmann also received new names, namely the RM-135 becoming the T-135.

Also, a huge thanks to Mr. Werden for saving these and allowing me to scan them!
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Josh
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: MetroSignal
Discord: Josh555#0001

Re: 1992-1993 "ACA Identity Crisis"

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Wow! Incredible post.

Thanks for putting this together, Christian!
- Josh
proud owner of a Federal Signal corporation Model A

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Amazing!

Great work, 4J! Very nice information.
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Batman
YouTube Username: BatmansSirenChannel

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Oooh, another great post! I did know that most of the ACA/ASC sirens underwent several name changes, but these are new to me. At least now I know where "PN-20" comes from, because it always puzzled me why it wasn't simply called the P-20.
Proud owner of a spontaneously-purchased 1940 Federal Electric Type A
Ulster County NY Map | Broome County NY Map | Union County NC Map

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:57 pm

That is one of the best-researched and put together topics I have seen on here in a while. Nice job.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 pm

About ding dang time that someone finally expanded upon the ACA/ASC knowledge. :D
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Someone22

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 pm

Great work!

uncommonsense

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 am

This has been one of the neatest, most informative weeks on the board in recent memory. Thank you for sharing this. Who knew the Banshee and Cyclone were reclassified as Screamers for a time?

Even if ACA/ASC skimped on these arguably cheap looking pamphlets, its still really cool to see them. Thank you for sharing!

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 am

Awesome thread!
-The Princess

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:45 pm

This is amazing information. I didn’t fully realize how much Hörmann America (which went under themselves) really drove ACA into the ground and made those cheap pamphlets...lol.

But Wow. This is amazing! Great work!
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”