EastCoastFilmer

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt Railfanning

Looking back on PPL Susquehanna's old system

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 pm

This thought came to my mind recently of PPL Susquehanna's system in Pennsylvania which I lived near as a kid (I have since moved away.)

Back in the day, the system consisted of Thunderbolt 1000s and STH-10s. In 2005, PPL hired ATI to replace the entire old system, but encountered issues with the sirens sounding during silent-tests, along with other issues. As a result, in 2007, a lawsuit was filed against ATI and the sirens were removed; the Thunderbolts and STH-10s were placed back in service temporarily while PPL searched for vendors.

ASC was then hired in 2008 to replace all sirens with T-121s. The replacement was completed in December 2008, and the Thunderbolts and STH-10s were permanently disconnected. Many of which remained standing until mid-2012, when I noticed they had been removed. I am unsure where they've ended up, but I am assuming they've found a scrap pile by now.

Some of the thunderbolts, however, I recall had very interesting jailbar grills, with the jailbars only going horizontal instead of both horizontal and vertical. I have some pictures, but not many that are good quality. In fact, I had to sign on to my old YouTube channels from way back to find some of them, hence the bad quality. The first I have shows the thunderbolt in Mifflinville, PA behind Mifflin Twp. VFD (which had one of the interesting jailbar grills. I have a better picture floating around somewhere where you can somewhat see it), and the next few show the thunderbolt at Nescopeck Twp. VFD in Nescopeck, PA, each of the thunderbolts with their successors standing beside them. These sirens I believe doubled as fire sirens. I have had difficulty finding any other pictures of the system; but some of the sirens are visible on street view images.
The attachment Mifflinville siren 2 jpeg.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Nescopeck siren 3.png is no longer available
Mifflinville siren 2 jpeg.jpg
Mifflinville siren 2 jpeg.jpg (147.75 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
East Coast Siren Enthusiast & Railfan
YouTube: Thunderbolt Railfanning Productions

EastCoastFilmer

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt Railfanning

Re: Looking back on PPL Susquehanna's old system

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:23 pm

I had trouble getting some of the pictures to load. Here's another attempt to load a picture of the sirens in Nescopeck, PA.
The attachment Nescopeck siren 4 jpeg.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Nescopeck siren 4 jpeg.jpg
Nescopeck siren 4 jpeg.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
East Coast Siren Enthusiast & Railfan
YouTube: Thunderbolt Railfanning Productions

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”