Stag
YouTube Username: Spaghetti Jay

Question about Richland MO EOWS 612s

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:17 am

Hi everyone

I found a video here showing what's without a doubt a recording of the Richland MO siren system, since 2 distinct EOWS 612s can be heard sounding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLj1GCwXTcU

I wanted to see if anyone here was local to the area and could answer some questions for me. See here, it sounds like 1 of them has Ultravoice controls, and the other has Siratone.
I was wondering if anyone knew which of them has which?
https://goo.gl/maps/sKQjto4VZRx This is the location of the one nearest the water tower (dubbed the Water Tower EOWS)
https://goo.gl/maps/sj87JMHKP3U2 and this is the location of the one I dubbed the Residential EOWS since it seems to be directly next to some houses.

This is a pretty interesting but poor quality video, further evidence this was taken in Richland MO is the faint ambience of a 2001 that is also part of this system.
It's hard to say but I'm thinking the Residential EOWS is the one nearest the filmer in this video? Therefore the Water Tower EOWS is the Siratone

I'm asking because this is one of my favorite potential locations for traveling to film, I want to plan maybe to drive up here for the 2019 statewide tornado drill. The EOWS is one of my favorite sirens and to see one sound in person would be extremely cool. I'd prefer to film the Siratone one!
Is anyone here from the area, or has traveled to the area, that knows more about this system? I'll also be trying to find the testing times for the county, so if anyone also knows that as well I'd appreciate it! Thanks
sincerely yours, a weird siren obsessed deer 🦌

Jackson95

Re: Question about Richland MO EOWS 612s

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:12 am

Stag wrote:
Hi everyone

I found a video here showing what's without a doubt a recording of the Richland MO siren system, since 2 distinct EOWS 612s can be heard sounding

I wanted to see if anyone here was local to the area and could answer some questions for me. See here, it sounds like 1 of them has Ultravoice controls, and the other has Siratone.
https://goo.gl/maps/sKQjto4VZRx This is the location of the one nearest the water tower (dubbed the Water Tower EOWS)
https://goo.gl/maps/sj87JMHKP3U2 and this is the location of the one I dubbed the Residential EOWS since it seems to be directly next to some houses.

This is a pretty interesting but poor quality video, further evidence this was taken in Richland MO is the faint ambience of a 2001 that is also part of this system.
It's hard to say but I'm thinking the Residential EOWS is the one nearest the filmer in this video? Therefore the Water Tower EOWS is the Siratone

I'm asking because this is one of my favorite potential locations for traveling to film, I want to plan maybe to drive up here for the 2019 statewide tornado drill. The EOWS is one of my favorite sirens and to see one sound in person would be extremely cool. I'd prefer to film the Siratone one!
Is anyone here from the area, or has traveled to the area, that knows more about this system? I'll also be trying to find the testing times for the county, so if anyone also knows that as well I'd appreciate it! Thanks
Jacob might have more info on these sirens, has he lives nearby.
Just your average 14 year old Siren kid from O'Fallon. Living in a town with a mix of sirens.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 am

That sounds like a Whelen Vortex and a Thunderbolt on level 7 in that video-not a 612. The tone has the sound of a thunderbolt to it and doesn't sound electronic.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Stag

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:18 am

Hmm, you're right about the wail double checking it! Ultravoice wail reaches a higher pitch before descending.. hm.

I would say it could be the EOWS was retrofitted with Whelen controls? But heck if that isn't a siratone sounding in the background then this is probably a Richland from a totally different state, and that probably is a Vortex.

I'm still learning, sorry haha. Not as familiar with electronic siren tones as I would like to be. I guess the question could still stand without the video as a connection. And it's a total mystery to me what kind of controls the EOWS of Richland MO have.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Stag wrote:
Hi everyone

Both 612s in Richland, Missouri are SiraTone units. The sirens heard in the video posted are Thunderbolts and Whelens in Richland, Mississippi.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Stag

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:47 pm

Tyler wrote:

Both 612s in Richland, Missouri are SiraTone units. The sirens heard in the video posted are Thunderbolts and Whelens in Richland, Mississippi.
I'm so impressed by how good you all are at IDing sirens and locations. I'll have to try some sort of flashcard studying to help my brain connect siren tones to names, like Pokemon cries lol. Hopefully someday I can be as good at IDing.

That's so exciting that they're both siratones, maybe it would be worth investing in trying to get a true Richland MO ambience video while I'm up there. Thanks a lot for clarifying both this video and the sirens!

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:04 pm

Stag wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:47 pm
Tyler wrote:

I'm so impressed by how good you all are at IDing sirens and locations. I'll have to try some sort of flashcard studying to help my brain connect siren tones to names, like Pokemon cries lol. Hopefully someday I can be as good at IDing.

Well I knew something was off when I noticed that the date of the video was misaligned with streetview and arial view of the SiraTone 612s. That was an immediate flag to me that there was either a Whelen nearby or this was a completely different place. The more I listened to it, the more the supposed 612 sounded like a Thunderbolt. I moved over to Mississippi and noticed that Thunderbolts were around that location and Richland had Whelens. The final flag for me were the other videos that person has on their channel that are all from Mississippi or Alabama.

I definitely appreciate your discovery of these 2 612s, because I had no idea they even existed. 2 more locations for the EOWS map!
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Stag

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:55 am

Oh wow, I didn't even think to compare the dates like that haha. Will keep that in mind for future siren researching!

Glad I could be of help there at least! The Missouri Warning Siren Map I refer to usually has these two listed as the only EOWS sirens in the state! Except for the 2000R in Rich Fountain.
Which seems strange to me, I wonder if there's more that just haven't been noted yet? I will let you know if I ever happen to see others while I'm out and about :)

metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:46 pm

There are 3 612s in their system if memory serves. They are numbered on their control boxes. Waynesville has or had a couple in their sytem as well.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Waynesville's are abandoned in place, they quit using them a a couple years ago after a few of them got destroyed by lightning.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”