scorpionx73
New User
YouTube Username: Surreal Adventure

Sirens in Long Beach, California.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:52 am

Hello all, I'm new here, and not a siren expert. I have a small YouTube channel called "Surreal Adventure", and I film the old, the lost, almost forgotten, Abandoned, and the kitschy. For a couple of months in my spare time I've been working on a video for my channel, tracking down what air raid sirens remain in the Long Beach, Ca. Area. I know there are online siren maps, but this isn't part of Los Angeles, and those maps don't show what left of ours. So far I've managed to track down 3 "scream masters" (are they really called that?), 2 Federal Model 3's, and a Federal SD-10. I'm sure there are more dotted about.

I am old enough to remember when they used to test these the last Friday of every month, and our last test was in 1991, now they are rusting away, literally. I'm kind of lost as what else to include in my video apart from a walk around of the sirens and location, any suggestions?

Regards,

ED

insertusernamehere94

Re: Sirens in Long Beach, California.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:50 pm

Thunderbolts, Scream Masters, and SD-10s were fairly common in the South Bay.

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:44 pm

scorpionx73 wrote:
Hello all, I'm new here, and not a siren expert. I have a small YouTube channel called "Surreal Adventure", and I film the old, the lost, almost forgotten, Abandoned, and the kitschy. For a couple of months in my spare time I've been working on a video for my channel, tracking down what air raid sirens remain in the Long Beach, Ca. Area. I know there are online siren maps, but this isn't part of Los Angeles, and those maps don't show what left of ours. So far I've managed to track down 3 "scream masters" (are they really called that?), 2 Federal Model 3's, and a Federal SD-10. I'm sure there are more dotted about.

I am old enough to remember when they used to test these the last Friday of every month, and our last test was in 1991, now they are rusting away, literally. I'm kind of lost as what else to include in my video apart from a walk around of the sirens and location, any suggestions?

Regards,

ED
LA actually finally tested their system in 1985 ,not 1991. Also those so called Federal Model 3s are actually a Fedelcode short frame Model 5 I believe. And the other sirens you questioned are scream masters (the ones that have three louvers on their shroud) and finally SD-10s. More up down town is were there are the 500 SH-TTs which are basically a rotating SD-10 since they both have the same rotors. As well as a couple Thuderbolts ,with one being a extremely rare gas powered Thunderbolt 2000. But anyways ,the only really way to find each location in via a siren map. Me and another siren enthusiast are working on an even better california siren map then the one that is currently out. It will have all of the sirens in LA and around long beach (LAs system had sirens in long beach) ,as well as most ,if all sirens in the whole state of california.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

SirensOfNewYork

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:12 pm

Duderocks5539 wrote:
scorpionx73 wrote:

Regards,

ED
LA actually finally tested their system in 1985 ,not 1991. Also those so called Federal Model 3s are actually a Fedelcode short frame Model 5 I believe. And the other sirens you questioned are scream masters (the ones that have three louvers on their shroud) and finally SD-10s. More up down town is were there are the 500 SH-TTs which are basically a rotating SD-10 since they both have the same rotors. As well as a couple Thuderbolts ,with one being a extremely rare gas powered Thunderbolt 2000. But anyways ,the only really way to find each location in via a siren map. Me and another siren enthusiast are working on an even better california siren map then the one that is currently out. It will have all of the sirens in LA and around long beach (LAs system had sirens in long beach) ,as well as most ,if all sirens in the whole state of california.
Sorry to bump but may I ask where this Bolt is located? Or if it's even still there...
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

NottaFoamer
YouTube Username: TheRadioPerson
Discord: TheRadioPerson#1918

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:52 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Duderocks5539 wrote:
scorpionx73 wrote:

Regards,

ED
Sorry to bump but may I ask where this Bolt is located? Or if it's even still there...
I heard it had its blower upgraded to a electrical one
I own a model L now cause im cool and epic like that

SirensOfNewYork

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Eows 115 wrote:
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Duderocks5539 wrote:
Double post
~SirensOfNewYork

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

NottaFoamer
YouTube Username: TheRadioPerson
Discord: TheRadioPerson#1918

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:56 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 pm
Eows 115 wrote:
SirensOfNewYork wrote:

Double post
I just realized that :lol:
I own a model L now cause im cool and epic like that

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:52 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Duderocks5539 wrote:
scorpionx73 wrote:

Regards,

ED
It's in Windsor Hills at a school. Next time, may I suggest having a look at the thunderbolts in existence map? It's a pretty valuable tool honestly.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... C48.339844
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

SirensOfNewYork

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Brendan W wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:52 pm
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Duderocks5539 wrote:
It's in Windsor Hills at a school. Next time, may I suggest having a look at the thunderbolts in existence map? It's a pretty valuable tool honestly.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... C48.339844
Doesn't look like it's on the map. The only two things that popped
up upon the search "2000" were in NJ and Arkansas, I think.
~SirensOfNewYork

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”