DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

2810 and SRNB Taken Out By Tornado - Chattahoochee Valley Outbreak March 3rd

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Hey everyone. If you've followed the news closely a few weeks ago you might have noticed a some stories on a few tornadoes that hit around my neck of the woods. It was pretty bad. All together 23 people lost their lives and the damage was insane. I really never imagined we'd get rocked this hard.

There were a number of tornadoes that hit our area, but the two that caused damage to the sirens in question are what I want to focus on. In the afternoon a tornado touched down to the south-of-east of Beauregard, AL in Society Hill. This tornado moved through the area as an EF-4. It more or less ripped the entire landscape apart as it moved through. Another EF-2 tornado formed behind it in Mount Andrew and followed a similar path which hit the area a second time. The initial one continued to move northeast going through Smiths Stations before crossing the Chattahoochee River into Muscogee County, GA just south of the Goat Rock Dam. By this point it had weakened to an EF-2 and at times an EF-1 and EF-0. The storm moved through Fortson (north Columbus), cutting across I-185 into Harris County where it clipped part of Cataula and ripped through Ellerslie. It continued it's path northeastward into Waverly Hall and eventually made its way to Talbotton where it nearly wiped the town off the map before lifting.

Going by the projection map the tornado tracked through Salem at one point. Right in the middle of the path laid the fire station for the area and its siren, a 2001-SRNB from the early 2000's. According to the EMA it took both tornadoes to the face, one of them knocking it off it's pole and, from some other reporting, tearing the station apart. The siren itself... well it's crumbled up on the ground somewhere out there. The director never specified which siren was taken out during the tornado in the article, however looking at the map it's clear that the tornado crossed this path. I don't have any pictures of it on hand, and the one online that was floating around on Facebook wasn't part of the siren. This is the location of the siren.

As the tornado moved into Georgia it crossed paths with a couple of 2001's located on the river. They are owned by the Goat Rock Dam and used for dam failure. They are tied into the county's system from what I understand. I think they both are 2001-SRNB's. The north siren wasn't hit going by the map, however the southern one took it point blank as an EF-2. I have no idea if it was taken out, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Bing has a view of it through their Streetview. https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=9524210f ... orm=S00027

On the Georgia side of things when the tornado came through it clung closely to Biggers Rd. In that area there are two 2810's. A little history, one replaced a 2001-SRN and the other a relocated SD-10 about roughly 16 years ago. It missed the 2810 closer to River Rd. by a few hundred feet, however the other one installed just south of the intersection of Biggers and Whitesville Rds. met its fate. The wind and debris hit the head of the siren, blowing it off the pole and shattering it as it came crashing down into the street. The head broke off in the same way the one I posted about earlier did, breaking apart from the bottom leaving half of a cell mounted onto the mounting bracket.

Here's what this siren looked like before the storm. No one has ever recorded this one, but more than likely it sounds off at 435 Hz in alert like the other originals throughout the county.

Tornado: 1 Siren: 0

So about the replacements. I'm 99% sure that if the Goat Rock Dam siren fell it will be replaced with a 130. The 2810 in Columbus will be replaced with a 2910. Like the other one, the controls survived and will be reused whenever the head gets replaced, making for two 2910s in Muscogee County and two somewhat rare occurrences of that head being paired with that particular version of the ESC-2020. The 2001-SRNB in Salem is a bit of a wild card. There is a possibility it may end up being replaced by a new 2001-130, however Lee County still has at least one spare 2001-"DC" that used to serve double duty for the county and Auburn University before being replaced by the campus's current system of 2904's. It would technically be a downgrade age-wise, but both will get roughly the same range to the point where it wouldn't be noticeable anyway. I'll have to check in with the EMA to see what's up with the replacement. I used to chat quite a bit with their former communications director about their system. He was knowledgeable on the different models as well as their old system of Thunderbolts and 2/3T22's. Since he left I haven't made any contact with their EMA, and since they may not know me as well they probably won't be able to go into specifics of the different models. If they say it'll be a brand new installation it most definitely will be a 130.

A couple other things I want to mention is that the tornado hit my mom's house. It knocked down a total of 18 trees by the count of the company removing them. Miraculously none of them hit the house. One fell on her shed, jamming the door shut. This is where I used to store my siren when I first got it until my grandfather convinced my grandmother to let me keep it at their house. Also Harris and Talbot Counties also have no siren system. Hamilton has an STH-10B that still works, however the city stopped using it years ago. Talbotton has a Darley 2V8. Might be time for them to consider getting a system, although I highly doubt they'll get adequate enough funding to do so. I might try and pull some strings eventually to look into helping them out.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Re: 2810 and SRNB Taken Out By Tornado - Chattahoochee Valley Outbreak March 3rd

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:31 pm

That's pretty insane, and not often you hear of a 2910 on an ESC-2020 controller. Too bad about your mother's shed and the communities that were impacted by the storm, but it's all in the due force of nature.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

uncommonsense

Re: 2810 and SRNB Taken Out By Tornado - Chattahoochee Valley Outbreak March 3rd

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Phone Goat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:31 pm
That's pretty insane, and not often you hear of a 2910 on an ESC-2020 controller. Too bad about your mother's shed and the communities that were impacted by the storm, but it's all in the due force of nature.
The ESC-2030 didn't debut until 2011ish. There are plenty of 2020 controlled 2900s. They're just set to run at 560hz.

DJ2226

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:30 pm

I think the 2900 series came out some time between 2005 and 2006. There were a few sold that actually shipped with the older 435 Hz controller, but they're pretty rare and most of the ones found in the wild with that controller are 2905's and 2906's. Cook Nuclear is littered with 435 Hz 2905's and a few 2906's. STL County used to have a few 2908's with that toneset as well, but I think they were upgraded when the county got rid of the older rotating sirens. As of now however no one has ever recorded a 2910 with that toneset.

Something I want to mention is that the 2910, and 2810 for that matter, in general is also a somewhat rare siren in Georgia and Alabama. During the years McCord was in business they seemed to heavily push the 3600 watt version of both series up until prior to the company going bankrupt. They didn't really advertise the 4000 watt version except in areas where there was a larger presence of competitors. I think towards the end of the company's operations ASC and Sentry started to make a heavy push into the south with the i-Force 3200, T-128, and 16V, which would explain why they started pushing the 2910 out of nowhere in some areas. AllComm and other smaller Whelen dealerships took over most of what McCord covered and actually advertise the 2910 as part of their lineups. Even though the new sirens being installed in the county are Whelen's with the same tones as the previous sirens that sat in their place, the fact that they will be 2910's is kind of a refresher for me.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

uncommonsense

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:49 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:30 pm
I think the 2900 series came out some time between 2005 and 2006.

They were introduced in either December 2006 or January 2007.
STL County used to have a few 2908's with that toneset as well, but I think they were upgraded when the county got rid of the older rotating sirens.
I can verify the 2908 at the Brentwood Fire Station still runs at 435 hz.

Also there's no older 435 hz controller. Anything running at 435 hz or 560hz until 2011 was on an ESC-2020. The only thing different was the tone frequency and probably some different firmware revisions along the way.

DJ2226

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:48 am

I have an update from Lee County's EMA. As it turns out there were no sirens damaged by the tornado in Alabama. There was a bunch of confusion following the event that lead to the EMA assuming that there was a downed siren somewhere in the county. A reporter and meteorologist shared a picture of a CATV power supply and mistakenly deemed it to be part of one of the sirens in the system. In the Facebook page we figured it out shortly afterward and I corrected one of the reporters about the situation. Also the road that was mentioned where the part came from doesn't have sirens nearby. Apparently the agency seen the post and made the assumption. The director surveyed the sirens and confirmed that all 73 of the County sirens are okay along with the two dam sirens.
uncommonsense wrote:
Also there's no older 435 hz controller. Anything running at 435 hz or 560hz until 2011 was on an ESC-2020. The only thing different was the tone frequency and probably some different firmware revisions along the way.
There was actually an older version of the 2020, and those happen to be the ones that run at 435 Hz. I don't know if I've ever posted about this on the forums, but the early ESC-2020's suffered from a glitch that made them shift down in pitch. It's been confirmed by a couple of people in the community that got a hold of 435 Hz controllers and a couple of Whelen engineers. If you take a listen to the tone bank on Whelen's website you'll notice that they still have the tones from the 2020's made in the early 2000's instead of the ones currently used. The tones also sound slightly higher pitched than usual. Believe it or not those are actually the tones that the 2020 should peak at. They were really set to peak at 450 Hz in alert and whoop. The other tones were effected too. They originally peaked at 470 Hz in attack, 455-ish when glitched out, while the other tones all peaked at the same pitch as they would on the later version set for 560 Hz. Even the European tones would drop by about 15 Hz. The drop to 435 Hz made the controller unstable causing to clip in alert. When they made the switch to 560 Hz a few of the older controllers managed to get flashed with the newer firmware and consequentially would drop to 530 Hz in alert. Those ended up becoming so unstable that alert would clip even worse and at times stop and start at random intervals. Alert is the only tone we've heard from that particular combo of hardware and firmware. Since attack peaked at 560 Hz with the newer firmware I'm assuming that it would peak at 530 Hz as well and that wail, hilo, and air horn would peak at the same pitch as it would on the older firmware. Whoop is a bit of a mystery since it peaks at 540 Hz on the newer firmware, but it probably drops too to some degree. Whelen has officially stated in some of their literature over the years that the pitch for alert was 450 and 560 Hz. The older specsheets for the 2900 series listed the sirens as peaking at 450 Hz and used the SPL and range ratings of the 2800 series since they preformed identical to their predecessor with that pitch besides the slightly higher STi rating from the newer internal design.

I actually experienced it with one of our sirens after the county had the vendor pull some bad batteries from one near me. I happened to catch it in an audio recording. I also experienced it with one of the sirens downtown in Columbus and a couple sirens near my workplace. We've found that it happens after the controller undergoes an SI test. If the power is shut off for long enough the controller resets and goes back to "normal."

Here's one running at 450 Hz like it should in alert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVWZQynfXk

Here's one that has the new firmware on the older controller running at 530 Hz. That whole system sounds like this. In the ambiance they sound just like T-128's until they shut off. He also has a recording of one that had a busted rotator and stopped clipping midway through the test and one of their sirens running at 560 Hz, but just like in my case he happen to record it after the batteries were changed. It more than likely peaks at 530 like the rest now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stgZx7FPKCw
DJ2226's YouTube Page

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:07 pm

I had always thought that 435 was the default tone set for a 2020 and that it would drift UPWARD to 450 Hz until a while back when I heard otherwise. In my opinion, the 530Hz tone is a lot cooler sounding and I wish it would appear in some more installations.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

WindowsWhistler2419
YouTube Username: JD

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:48 am
I have an update from Lee County's EMA. As it turns out there were no sirens damaged by the tornado in Alabama. There was a bunch of confusion following the event that lead to the EMA assuming that there was a downed siren somewhere in the county. A reporter and meteorologist shared a picture of a CATV power supply and mistakenly deemed it to be part of one of the sirens in the system. In the Facebook page we figured it out shortly afterward and I corrected one of the reporters about the situation. Also the road that was mentioned where the part came from doesn't have sirens nearby. Apparently the agency seen the post and made the assumption. The director surveyed the sirens and confirmed that all 73 of the County sirens are okay along with the two dam sirens.
uncommonsense wrote:
There was actually an older version of the 2020, and those happen to be the ones that run at 435 Hz. I don't know if I've ever posted about this on the forums, but the early ESC-2020's suffered from a glitch that made them shift down in pitch. It's been confirmed by a couple of people in the community that got a hold of 435 Hz controllers and a couple of Whelen engineers. If you take a listen to the tone bank on Whelen's website you'll notice that they still have the tones from the 2020's made in the early 2000's instead of the ones currently used. The tones also sound slightly higher pitched than usual. Believe it or not those are actually the tones that the 2020 should peak at. They were really set to peak at 450 Hz in alert and whoop. The other tones were effected too. They originally peaked at 470 Hz in attack, 455-ish when glitched out, while the other tones all peaked at the same pitch as they would on the later version set for 560 Hz. Even the European tones would drop by about 15 Hz. The drop to 435 Hz made the controller unstable causing to clip in alert. When they made the switch to 560 Hz a few of the older controllers managed to get flashed with the newer firmware and consequentially would drop to 530 Hz in alert. Those ended up becoming so unstable that alert would clip even worse and at times stop and start at random intervals. Alert is the only tone we've heard from that particular combo of hardware and firmware. Since attack peaked at 560 Hz with the newer firmware I'm assuming that it would peak at 530 Hz as well and that wail, hilo, and air horn would peak at the same pitch as it would on the older firmware. Whoop is a bit of a mystery since it peaks at 540 Hz on the newer firmware, but it probably drops too to some degree. Whelen has officially stated in some of their literature over the years that the pitch for alert was 450 and 560 Hz. The older specsheets for the 2900 series listed the sirens as peaking at 450 Hz and used the SPL and range ratings of the 2800 series since they preformed identical to their predecessor with that pitch besides the slightly higher STi rating from the newer internal design.

I actually experienced it with one of our sirens after the county had the vendor pull some bad batteries from one near me. I happened to catch it in an audio recording. I also experienced it with one of the sirens downtown in Columbus and a couple sirens near my workplace. We've found that it happens after the controller undergoes an SI test. If the power is shut off for long enough the controller resets and goes back to "normal."

Here's one running at 450 Hz like it should in alert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVWZQynfXk

Here's one that has the new firmware on the older controller running at 530 Hz. That whole system sounds like this. In the ambiance they sound just like T-128's until they shut off. He also has a recording of one that had a busted rotator and stopped clipping midway through the test and one of their sirens running at 560 Hz, but just like in my case he happen to record it after the batteries were changed. It more than likely peaks at 530 like the rest now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stgZx7FPKCw
The one sounding on 530Hz sounds alot like a 9/9 port Super Sirex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf55nn36nE8

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”