TNSirens
YouTube Username: MiddleTNSirens
Discord: MiddleTNSirens#4881

Exactly How Rare Is It To Find An Active Sterling N5 (yeah I know it's rare, but how much?...)

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:37 am

I have made multiple posts about the Sterling N5 in Algood, TN (which most people seemed to like :D). Just was curious as exactly how rare is it to find an active one? This particular one was installed in the early 1960s. Another by the way, This summer I will have a video of it (Probably late May depending on my schedule). Also, anyone wanting to record it? Just wondering. I always get so much joy from talking about this Sterling for some reason! :D
Your not so professional siren enthusiast.

Screamer105

Re: Exactly How Rare Is It To Find An Active Sterling N5 (yeah I know it's rare, but how much?...)

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm

They are rare enough that there’s only a few known locations. The most popular N5 location is in Denver, Indiana. Probably because it does a noon blast, and isn’t just for fire calls like other ones. There’s an 8 port N5 in Akron, Pennsylvania which is pretty rare. It’s a fire siren though, so you’re not going to hear it go off that often. A YouTuber by the name of “TheFiremansavage” owns an N5 and has posted many videos on it. As for rarity now, I’d say it’s extremely rare and there’s only a few out there. But we don’t know that. There could be more just like the one recently discovered in Algood.
signature

TNSirens

Re: Exactly How Rare Is It To Find An Active Sterling N5 (yeah I know it's rare, but how much?...)

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Screamer105 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm
They are rare enough that there’s only a few known locations. The most popular N5 location is in Denver, Indiana. Probably because it does a noon blast, and isn’t just for fire calls like other ones. There’s an 8 port N5 in Akron, Pennsylvania which is pretty rare. It’s a fire siren though, so you’re not going to hear it go off that often. A YouTuber by the name of “TheFiremansavage” owns an N5 and has posted many videos on it. As for rarity now, I’d say it’s extremely rare and there’s only a few out there. But we don’t know that. There could be more just like the one recently discovered in Algood.
I have heard of those locations stated. The one in Algood runs for Tornado Warnings and tests. No other info on whether it was originally used for fires (which it probably was since it is so close to the Fire Department). I also do not know if it is 8 port or 8/16 port. All I can do at this point is wait until I can get out there (Im like 15-20 minutes from the siren itself).

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:17 pm

I'd say that they are pretty uncommon, but not rare.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Jackson95

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:53 am

How rare would the Y-10s be?
Just your average 14 year old Siren kid from O'Fallon. Living in a town with a mix of sirens.

WindowsWhistler2419
YouTube Username: JD

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am

Jackson95 wrote:
Ultra Rare, not many of them are left.

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:48 pm

WindowsWhistler2419 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am
Jackson95 wrote:
Ultra Rare, not many of them are left.
There are a few known locations of Y-10s but I'm pretty sure they're all inactive.
There was also a Y-10 for sale on eBay a few months back.
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:05 pm

There is a Y-10 in Rotterdam, NY, and one in Arcadia, WI.

Not sure if they are active (in fact the one at the Rotterdam NY, fire dept is hardly visible from what I heard), the one in Arcadia seems to do a test at 6PM (if you search on YouTube for Sterling Y-10, Arcadia's y-10 comes up first)
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

Screamer105

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:24 pm

How rare would a k5 be?
signature

TNSirens

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:11 am

Screamer105 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:24 pm
How rare would a k5 be?
They are pretty hard to find. The most common one would be a 12 port, but it came in a 8, 12, or 16 port from what I have heard.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”