fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Re: ACA Allertor 125 Questions

Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 am

JonathanC wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:42 am
it almost looks like the siren motor core's got the big scrappage and they just dumped the housings for refuge/waste. it looks like at this point that getting them for restoration is a done deal unless you can somehow manage to find the chopper/motor/stator assembly's still intact.
You’re probably right about that.
Probably wanted to make a quick buck off the motors instead of giving them to a community in need.

Still beside myself as to the fact we made absolutely every effort to get them and contacted him countless times and since March 22 got no response. Sent him a typed letter in the mail a couple of days ago as a reminder before today getting this picture.

It will be certainly interesting what the trustee has to say about this considering he promised to donate these sirens to us...and that we had a proposal and everything ready. I’ll certainly update when he responds back to share with you what he has to say about this.

We are looking at getting ahold of communities who abandoned their systems about 5 years ago in my county to see if we can acquire their old sirens; they’d be more likely to give us them because they probably just want them gone to be honest.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

fire_freak_57

Sun May 05, 2019 2:35 pm

I’m still working on getting some sirens.
While these Allertors won’t be it, I am working on possibly getting one old decommissioned 2001-DC from a community that recommissioned their Sterling M-10 and cut power to their 2001. It is in good condition so that is a possibility. There are also several areas in our county that have old sirens like EOWS*612’s that are decommissioned (ex. Barberton and Tallmadge) that we could possibly acquire.
sirenfreak57

fire_freak_57

Sun May 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Here are pictures of the decommissioned 2001. It is in Portage County and was replaced by an 8/16 Port Sterling Siren M-10 (circa 1957) and was completely restored, refurbed, and reinstalled several years ago. It recieved a fresh coat of red paint in March. This siren has been disconnected since the Sterling was recommissioned.
2F2E696E-8903-44A4-8E5E-4253727D6B85.jpeg
2F2E696E-8903-44A4-8E5E-4253727D6B85.jpeg (160.39 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
5CEFD437-4AA8-44B4-BAB6-0CFE7E66F37D.jpeg
5CEFD437-4AA8-44B4-BAB6-0CFE7E66F37D.jpeg (231.24 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
5E3AE1DE-55ED-4E87-BAE6-B51846AAF614.jpeg
5E3AE1DE-55ED-4E87-BAE6-B51846AAF614.jpeg (94.97 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
86191490-60AF-40C2-8FFC-EACD3406DC2C.jpeg
86191490-60AF-40C2-8FFC-EACD3406DC2C.jpeg (622.41 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
sirenfreak57

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Sun May 05, 2019 5:19 pm

A 2001 being replaced with an M-10... well that's a first. Also, it might be worth looking through that pile of garbage that the Allertor horns are in. They might have left the siren guts with them too.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

fire_freak_57

Sun May 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Zarlog wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:19 pm
A 2001 being replaced with an M-10... well that's a first. Also, it might be worth looking through that pile of garbage that the Allertor horns are in. They might have left the siren guts with them too.
I would, but first I'm pretty sure that's probably illegal, and second IDK what I'd be able to even salvage at that point because it's probably been sitting in the rain just exposed like that and the motors and rotation assemblies look like they're gone (at least can't see them in that picture) and what's left is probably damaged anyways, and third it's an hour and 15 minute drive from where I'm at.

But I can see what I can do, but at this point there really isn't a whole lot I can do.
I contacted the township trustee again and am waiting to hear back from him as to why the sirens were trashed, since I was very surprised to see that considering he offered them all to us and basically said they were on a first-come first-served basis...so I have no idea why they ended up like that. He stopped responding to our emails, but we kept up our attempts to contact him to no avail, so I doubt I'll ever truly know why they ended up trashed. As far as I knew the Board of Trustees there agreed to give them to us so I'm not really sure why he stopped responding and why the sirens ended up trashed, but either way it's a shame perfectly good sirens met their fate like that, especially since they were already fully refurbished and could have easily been reinstalled somewhere else which was my intent.
sirenfreak57

fire_freak_57

Tue May 07, 2019 12:17 am

Today I received a letter from the township trustee explaining why the sirens were scrapped. Here is what he had to say (I have redacted names for privacy reasons but feel that the letter is an important part of why this happened before people start making rumors/assumptions). This is also being posted to serve as a important notice to people doing this in the future of what may happen that is not in anyone's control and certainly wasn't done without good intent, but more for legal reasons.

I have attached the message below verbatim as I received it. Again; posting this because first, rumors have spread on here and on Discord of why this decision was made and to dispel those rumors I think the whole story should be posted; and secondly to serve as a reminder or just general idea in the future of people doing things like this.

Here goes:
When it comes to public administration, many individuals have ideas that they would like to push to another level. Old sirens that could go to another use.
But just because that individual has those specific ideas, this does not mean that the idea will become a reality. Case in point: a motion was made to not give sirens to anyone due to possible legal ramifications in the future, at this point it was voted on and passed that they be scrapped. When Knox Township received these sirens years ago, this is also what had happened, Beaver Valley had scrapped them, and we got them out of the scrap bin, to refurbish, at that time it made somewhat sense to go in that direction. With cost rising on any type of refurbishing of the Allertor 125, it became apparent that cost would override the project, and that is why Knox Township attempted to get new sirens. Yes it does sadden me that there was not at least one siren saved, but as stated previously, I set on a board of three, so one vote will not make a majority. This is how the system works, I'm not saying I agree with it, but as chairman of the Board of Knox Township Trustees, I support the decision made.

I want to thank everyone for their help on this topic, and as for what happens in the future, we will see, I am in talks with people to have an older 2001-DC siren that is abandoned in Portage County sold to us and installed at a Metropark that needs coverage, and the 2001 is one that we can get state grant money still for...hopefully. So, in other words, there's still hope.

I hope this helps dispel any rumors going around the community about why this decision was made by the BOT as well as the numerous rumors started by an individual with no knowledge of this project on the ARS Discord server (I do not have, nor plan to have, Discord but I was told this by the other friend of mine who was working on this project with me and does have it), so I hope this clears everything up. Thank you for the help everyone, and I hope this topic serves as a lesson/teaching moment to others thinking of doing something similar in the future! I don't want to discourage anyone and I think it might sadden those at ACA who built these fine products along with Jim Biersach, but the fact is this is the way our political system works and sometimes the ideas will be approved and other times they will not; or in our case, as much as the board would have loved to agree to the proposal, they had to stick with their existing agreement and ultimately could not give the sirens to us. But we tried, and that's all you can do!
sirenfreak57

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Tue May 07, 2019 3:17 am

If you're looking for some refurbished sirens I've got a lot of Thunderbolts and 2T22's that I'd be open to selling.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

fire_freak_57

Tue May 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Stormsetter4 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:17 am
If you're looking for some refurbished sirens I've got a lot of Thunderbolts and 2T22's that I'd be open to selling.
That would have to be something that I’d have to run by the municipality as they’d be paying for any install costs and if it’s Federal stuff then that means that FFS is gonna be doing the install. I appreciate the offer though. We have 2 2001-130’s already (although one is joint owned by another township we border and it has been having radio problems and not sounding for the weekly test, we did have Motorola come out and fix that a couple weeks ago but nevertheless it is still failing tests so it sounds like an internal fault with the RTU or the FC board that’s probably gonna need replacing...although the fire departments that activate the siren for testing are both over a mile north and south of that siren.

Our other 2001-130 that was installed in 2017 has a regular FC radio with a yagi antenna mounted high on the pole and is closer to the fire department here and has never failed a test.

Ideally we’re looking for an expansion in coverage since we’ve got one on the far north side of the village and the other on the far south side with about a 3-4 mile coverage gap in between.

I was thinking about asking Hudson about their 3T22 since they replaced it with their 5 ATI’s two years ago, and a community in Portage County which replaced their 2001-DC and disconnected it after they deemed it too loud and had their old Sterling M-10 moved to the center of town, had it restored and reinstalled and the 2001 has been sitting abandoned since, but is in surprisingly good condition.

I will send you a PM if we are interested later though. I will say that this probably won’t happen (especially with the Thunderbolts); probably will cost to much to maintain and putting new FCTBD’s on stuff is not cheap and with putting up an older 2001 I don’t have to necessarily get a new controller since the existing older one is already compatible with our FS system. While there are two Thunderbolt’s in Ashland County and three in Cuyahoga County and one here in Summit County (which is where my town is that we’re looking to have new sirens to fill those gaps and put in high populated areas) but those are all ex-CD units.
Last edited by fire_freak_57 on Tue May 07, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirenfreak57

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Tue May 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Set commander up to send out an extra DTMF string in addition to the existing activation protocol and I'll throw a radio in with the sirens, that way you don't have to deal with the DCFC.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

fire_freak_57

Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Stormsetter4 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:00 pm
Set commander up to send out an extra DTMF string in addition to the existing activation protocol and I'll throw a radio in with the sirens, that way you don't have to deal with the DCFC.
I actually heard back from Knox Township today and heard they paid $3600 a siren to C&K Early Warning Systems for their new Sentry’s...that’s something that I’d propose to the Village as not only is Sentry probably the best manufacturer in the industry at the moment (in my personal opinion anyways), but their prices are also extremely reasonable and their sirens are quality built and built to last. The trustee also said:

“Once more my hats are off to you, and any others who had such a bold plan to keep so many safe, and I do hope somewhere down the road you will formulate a plan to assist the program now in place in Richfield. Never be afraid to look outside the box as I feel you have done, but always keep close to your roots, and always look at the financial events that may surround the avenue you wish to travel. Best of Luck!!”

I know a Village Councilmember who goes to my church, so I might grab him at a free moment and explain to him our plan and I’ll mention C&K/Sentry Siren if I can catch him at a free moment.

Another option would be to put an older 2001 up as well; either of those two options would probably be the most cost effective and get the most out of our money at this point.
sirenfreak57

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”