fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Looking for old 2001 siren Literature

Sun May 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Hello everyone,
As part of a siren upgrade project for my town, if it is an idea I go forth with and Village Council were to approve, I am looking at having Federal Field come and remove an old abandoned 2001-DC (Squareback variant) from a community in Portage County that has left that siren abandoned after deeming it too loud (originally replaced a 8/16 Port Sterling Siren M-10, circa 1957; long story short it was restored and reinstalled downtown and is once again their warning siren and they love it) and it was decommissioned several years after it was installed in the late 1980's/early 1990's and has been sitting abandoned since.

Despite this, the siren is in great shape and could easily be put back into service without major repairs unless the internals are bad (then we'd have it refitted with new Federal control cabinets/battery boxes and regardless of what option we would go with we'd have a type 2001TRBP rectifier put on it (240VAC nominal - 48VDC/120VAC transformer rectifier) for AC/DC operation (with AC as primary power and DC if an AC power loss were to occur).

I ran the financials (using the pricing we were quoted from the sales receipt from Federal Signal when our current and only siren on the system, a 2001-130, was installed in March 2017, so prices may have changed slightly due to inflation and whatnot), and for installing new control cabinets, battery boxes, and a rectifier along with all installation fees, the cost comes out to approximately $14,185.10.

With the existing 2001DC control cabinets and battery box, new batteries (according to the 2001SRN manual these older controllers used a total of 6? batteries whilst the newer controllers only use 4, along with a new rectifier to account for AC/DC operation and all necessary installation/programming fees, the total for this option is significantly lower and comes out to approximately $9,317.40 (this includes the 6 new batteries the older controllers used).

It's important to note when our 2001-130 was installed, our order was for one 508-128 siren, however because our regional Federal Signal dealer, Federal Field Services out of Wauseon, likes to push the 2001-130, a 2001-130 was installed instead of the 508 that we had ordered (this change was one that didn't go over well with Village Council, the Village Finance Director, and the Richfield Fire Department (who was leading the siren project), but all ultimately conceded to having a 2001-130 installed instead because the local high school has one which FFS installed in 2009 (that siren is both joint-owned by The Village of Richfield and Bath Township because the school district is located on the border of both communities), because it would sound the same as that siren.

With these costs the total to install a new 2001-130 was $23,682,60, so I'm not sure if the $14,000 option would be approved because they might say "might as well just install a new 2001-130", but it is the most cost-effective in the end and the older 2001 sirens can perform just as well as the newer ones and provide a similar range of coverage.

This older 2001 siren would be installed just outside a county Metro Park because that area is not in the coverage radius of our existing siren (it is outside that radius), and Brecksville's siren (a 2001-130 a few miles away in an adjacent city the next county over) cannot reach that area because of the background noise from I-77 which borders the park, so it is necessary for a siren to be installed there. In addition to covering the Metro Park the siren would also cover a subdivision adjacent to the Metro Park.

With that background information aside, my question is: does anyone have any old literature for the first generation Squareback variant of the 2001? Literature which would help would be the manual and any other literature having to do with the older type 2001DC control cabinets in case we were to go that route instead of having new cabinets installed, and the old "Federal 2001:DC" graphic stickers that were placed on the sides of the siren. Any help or links to literature described would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help everyone!
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”