CanadianTbolt1003
YouTube Username: Sirens & Thunderbolts 1003

Sarnia, ON siren upgrades

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 pm

I was looking on stuff about Sarnia sirens and found this from October 2018 and I think those 3 sirens they are talking about in the article are the thunderbolts at the Suncor Refinery, now I can't confirm it yet but as of right now it seems like they might be replacing the Tbolts. Here is the article from Sarnia The Observer.

https://www.theobserver.ca/news/local-n ... r-upgrades

UPDATE: I am hearing from Model2 saying that sirens at the refinery are refinery owned so I think the Tbolts at Suncor Refinery are safe for now as this is only municipality owned sirens getting upgraded/replaced meaning the ATI's but I will be keeping an eye on the Tbolts and hope nothing happens to them.

- Sirens & Thunderbolts 1003
Last edited by CanadianTbolt1003 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of:
• Federal Sign & Signal STH-10
• Non-working Federal Enterprises Model 2
• Sterling 2v8
• '86 Federal Signal Canadian Model 2-3Z
• Federal Sign & Signal Model D

SirenMadness

Re: Sarnia, ON siren upgrades

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:51 am

Oh gosh, that is heartbreaking! It sucked to hear of when they finally took the 1212s out a decade ago, but this seems like the final nail in the coffin for what was once a diverse system. There is a trio of Mods strung along the rail yard that the article may by chance be alluding to, but the fact that the EM coordinator made a point of not being able to score replacement parts for the older models almost certainly points to the Thunderbolts' demise. I just went to attend their weekly test this past Victoria Day, as a matter of fact. I don't think there are many places where you can stand a hundred feet away from a Thunderbolt almost eye-level with the horn. If it's true, they certainly will be missed.
~ Peter Radanovic

CanadianTbolt1003

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:30 am

Now I don't 100% know if they are replacing it yet but if they do I am going to call them and try to get it. Yes the part where the article mentions no replacement parts for the older models is concerning and is likely pointing towards the Suncor Thunderbolt 1003's and they don't test on holidays I think and I hope for the best if they want to keep them up I could recommend a parts source like West Shore Services.

Proud owner of:
• Sterling 2v8

SirenMadness

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:47 am

Here's hoping for a lengthy stay of the Thunderbolts, and if a replacement is in the works it'd be nice if a mechanical equivalent takes the spot. Now, I'm not certain on their holiday policy, but I sure was glad to be able to hear the beast go off on the 20th. Perhaps the sirens relegated to the depths of the refineries don't follow the same exception to testing as their municipal partners? Would be interesting to know. Kinda sucks that they have Monday as their test day, as work doesn't lend me many free Mondays throughout the year. :(
~ Peter Radanovic

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:25 am

CanadianTbolt1003 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:30 am
Now I don't 100% know if they are replacing it yet but if they do I am going to call them and try to get it. Yes the part where the article mentions no replacement parts for the older models is concerning and is likely pointing towards the Suncor Thunderbolt 1003's and they don't test on holidays I think and I hope for the best if they want to keep them up I could recommend a parts source like West Shore Services.

West Shore being West Shore they'll either tell them that they need to put in 130s or they already do the system. I've seen West Shore replace perfectly fine CD-Era sirens with 130s and 508s because, as they put it, 'They don't have parts for them' or 'It's broken beyond repair'.

However, if West Shore does maintain the system, they've done a darn good job keeping those Thunderbolts running for as long as they have. Hats off to whoever does the system!
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

CanadianTbolt1003

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:50 am

It might be the Sarnia police that maintains the system I'm still trying to figure it out.

Proud owner of:
• Sterling 2v8

Model2

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Each refinery is responsible for their own sirens. This article is about the ATI system maintained by the municipalitie. Three of the ATIs need upgrading I bet two of them are the ones at Vidal St bridge and the farthest west siren in Aamjiwnaang.

The "shared siren" would be the ATI just north of Froomfield it's at an intersection of Sarnia, St. Clair, and aamjiwnaang. I recorded it last year it barely made a whimper https://youtu.be/YDhzTRs_no4

CanadianTbolt1003

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks for clearing that up when they mentioned no replacement parts for the older models I started to worry that my favourite Tbolts would be in trouble. again thanks for clearing things up.

I will try and get a Tbolt recording soon :D :D :D :D

Proud owner of:
• Sterling 2v8

SirenMadness

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 am

Doesn't surprise me then. I thought their ATI sirens were doing fine, but I guess it goes to show. Hope Amherstburg isn't going through the same hassles with their system.
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”