Palmspringslocator2
YouTube Username: DesertSirens

Sirens in Palm Springs

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 am

I am looking around for sirens in the Palm Springs, CA area. I know there are two thunderbolts, one on top of a fire station and one on top of the city hall. There was an article that stated there was one in downtown palm springs. There could possibly more but I am not aware of it. There are some south of the Salton Sea and around it but the drive is a bit to far. I have tried getting in contact with the fire station to see if they were doing anything with it but it looks like once they remodel the building they will auction it? The system is no longer active.

Next step is to call city hall and ask some information about the sirens and see if they still have access to the siren on there building.
They used these sirens during the war but ever since that they have not been seen in a different position. The one on top of the fire station was last used sometime 2007 and the one the side of city hall has possibly moved from wind. When I visited it moved at least a inch to the right. From map view it is uncertain that it did because there are cactus, street light, and cars blocking the way. Both of the thunderbolts have the blower boxes, poles and head intact. Just a little rust. The one on city hall has the original CD logo on it.

If you have any locations or clues around this area thank you! I will possibly go out and hunt them down.

Eventually

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: Sirens in Palm Springs

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:57 pm

There was a siren on a fire station on the west side of town. I did find a photo of it in a newspapers.com article that I will have to dig up. It was a WWII era one that was reinstalled. Sadly, the only thing left is a tower.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Palmspringslocator2

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:33 pm

UPDATE: I have called a few places in palm springs (City Hall, Emergency Department) The first time I called and asked if I can obtain one, but they said they would be keeping them as a remnant of the past. A few days later I decided to call the Emergency Department, and when I called he said that he would investigate it. The next morning he left a voicemail that, 1. there are two on them, at the City Hall, and at the downtown fire station (Station 441) 2. He said that they do not function, and are not planning to make them function. After that he said to call back if you have anymore questions. I may call someone to give them an idea of restoring them and putting them back to use.

Palmspringslocator2

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:21 pm

UPDATE2: Called the department 3, I spoke with a firemen that worked there for around 20 years, they said that they had a siren on most fire stations at the civil war era. The siren on the downtown palm springs station was taken down into the parking lot and was left there until scrapped possibly. The 2 known sirens are not connected, not words of having it removed, and no plan to use them.

Palmspringslocator2

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Is this considered a bump? Well, I stopped by the siren at the City Hall, and when looking at the siren, a employee there or something came out, and we had a small conversation. He said that all the controls are still inside the building for the siren. There might be a chance that it could still be activated! I might give a call to the city about it. I should have asked more information but it seems that he was in a hurry.

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:28 am

Sounds great! Also sounds like a question I should ask the council members at deer park.

Remember, these guys have other jobs and a life outside of work like the rest of us. Most city council members have to deal with covid and other projects.

REMEMBER: MAKE SURE POWER IS ON WHEN TESTING OFF WHEN SERVICING.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Palmspringslocator2

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Bump:

Thank you for the info Ohio_Man

I went on a 2 month spree of emailing the city, talked about the sirens same thing again, no new info really but it was nice of them responding and all that.

Though, just yesterday I did a free trial on the newspapers site just for fun and found out a whole ton more information that made me jump out of my seat! Palm Springs had a CD System! They had at least 4 or 6 sirens judging from the info on the newspaper article. They were also tested on the last Friday of the month.

The article said that they were 7HP sirens. There were more images but I was having a little trouble posting them, this was the best photo giving locations. There were also sirens in neighboring cities as well, I will have to do some more digging. At the moment there are about 4-6 known locations. No remnants of the two locations said in the image.
Attachments
airRaid2.png
airRaid2.png (142.08 KiB) Viewed 6079 times

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:22 am

Well the deer park Sterling's missing it's controller so I'm gonna build one using a traffic light sequencer.

The only 7hp siren I know off hand is the model 7, and I think ACA had an screamer that was 7hp.

California used to be big Federal Signal customers (san franciso's numerous STL's, LA had thunderbolts but who didn't) not to mention random SD10's.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Palmspringslocator2

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:28 am

Bump again lol

Reply to ohio_man's message: There was a Model 5/7 southwest of Palm Springs which I will mention later on in this message

I did some newspaper hunting again on a different website and found some pretty cool stuff. Currently, Palm Springs has 2 remaining sirens, and use to have around 6 sirens. 4 are gone with the rest of the info I said before.
Now, I did find another location Palm Desert California, which was a Model 5/7. This siren used to be housed at the Volunteer Fire Department in Palm Desert which im assuming is now gone, and was housed at a pharmacy in Palm Desert. The owner of the Pharmacy offered to give it full 220V 3 phase power hook up which was pretty cool.
I did some more searching and found a picture of the Palm Springs City Hall Thunderbolt, which made me physically get out of my chair in joy! The siren was installed in 1963-66 era along with the Thunderbolt at the Fire Station number 3.
May the hunt continue
Attachments
Siren2.png
Palm Desert
Siren2.png (374.95 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
Siren1.png
Palm Springs City Hall Thunderbolt (1964-66)
Siren1.png (309.95 KiB) Viewed 5575 times

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:56 am

Seeing as how the 'bolt at city hall is a 4M, and based upon the serial number (which is T-2176-D) the article above I believe is from 1965.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Return to “Community Systems”