Vintagecollections
YouTube Username: VintageCollections
Discord: VintageCollections#3197

Lansing, Michigan, To Replace ALL Thunderbolt 1000Ts

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:21 pm

I know many of you likely already know this, but I'm just making sure everyone knows this. Lansing, Michigan, has a large system of Thunderbolt 1000Ts (all 5/6 port), some of these came from Oakland County, Michigan's old system. BUT, it has been confirmed they will all be replaced by Federal Signal Equinox sirens, or in other words, "8 Port 2001-130s". These thunderbolts are now living on borrowed time, and will likely be replaced in December 2021. So, if anybody is looking to see a Lansing Thunderbolt test, i'd reccomend going as soon as possible. As for the fates of the 2T22, STH-10, & Model 5, that is unknown at this time.
-Joseph

Proud Owner of an 8 Port GDC Type 7, 1965 FS&S Model 2, MARS Vehicular Siren, a Crusty Federal Enterprises Model A, Part of an Ex. Plymouth, MI Thunderbolt 1000B, Mini 8 Port Fedelcode Type 7, 1974 AR Timer, & Over 400 Antique Fans!

HazzaCyclone710
YouTube Username: HazzaCyclone518

Re: Lansing, Michigan, To Replace ALL Thunderbolt 1000Ts

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:33 pm

Damn, I'm glad you told me, I didn't know about that.
At least they're getting replaced with something unique
-Seen a Carter 1N WW2 siren, a Whelen WPS-2903, and has heard Modulators and DSA's playing Evening Colours.
-Currently looking for undiscovered sirens in the UK.
-Also making a fantasy siren map for the UK aswell.

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 am

I'm guessing WSS is doing the replacement job right? If so then I suppose all the equipment will go right to their boneyard; hopefully aimed for future leases on life..?
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:48 pm

The 10 and the 5 are owned by the state complex and not the city. Those are probably to remain intact. The 2T22 is seized and will be replaced. The Modulator is likely being replaced too.

Lansing’s thunderbolts are “maintained” in house and have been in very poor condition for the past few years. Some may end up becoming parts units and some may go to other municipalities. The newer refurbishment job is likely being reused somewhere else or even possibly staying.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Vintagecollections

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:28 pm

nvanw27 wrote:
The 10 and the 5 are owned by the state complex and not the city. Those are probably to remain intact. The 2T22 is seized and will be replaced. The Modulator is likely being replaced too.

Lansing’s thunderbolts are “maintained” in house and have been in very poor condition for the past few years. Some may end up becoming parts units and some may go to other municipalities. The newer refurbishment job is likely being reused somewhere else or even possibly staying.
Interesting. And don’t the Modulators belong to East Lansing?
-Joseph

Proud Owner of an 8 Port GDC Type 7, 1965 FS&S Model 2, MARS Vehicular Siren, a Crusty Federal Enterprises Model A, Part of an Ex. Plymouth, MI Thunderbolt 1000B, Mini 8 Port Fedelcode Type 7, 1974 AR Timer, & Over 400 Antique Fans!

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 am

Vintagecollections wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:28 pm
nvanw27 wrote:

Interesting. And don’t the Modulators belong to East Lansing?
There's a Modulator I (series 1) on top of a parking deck downtown. That hasn't worked in a while, likely due to battery failure. There is not much of a maintenance program in Lansing. The Mod IIs (series 2) belong to Michigan State University.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

WSAL125

YouTube Username: WSAL125

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Chicagosiren-hunters wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 am
I'm guessing WSS is doing the replacement job right? If so then I suppose all the equipment will go right to their boneyard; hopefully aimed for future leases on life..?
Yes West Shore Services is doing the removal job, I talked to Mike and saw the Equinoxes at West Shore, and there are about 10 Equinoxes there currently. They will be going into the yard like most of the removals have gone to.
I surf the board, I rarely post.

Owner of:

2 Model D's with the same serial, an FC, and a random PA speaker. :D

Vintagecollections

Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:24 pm

nvanw27 wrote:

Can I have coords for the 5? I cannot find it ANYWHERE.
-Joseph

shodowhater

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:04 am

Good, good. It's not like they ever worked anyway.
The "5" is atop the loading dock of the Cass Building.
"Y'know what would suck? Driving a river." - Jeremy Munyon, 2019

Model2

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:58 pm

Are there any official sources on this?

Return to “Community Systems”